San Telmo Market

5/24/2015

A week into the trip, we are becoming more accustomed to our new  Argentinian lifestyle; we are experts on the public transportation system, gradually learning the language, and know to never expect anything other than carne. We spent the first half of today exploring the San Telmo market and its rich culture.  The market- similar to a flee market in the U.S.A- was composed of endless tables and tents stretching in every direction in sight.  The locals were selling everything from food and drinks to art to clothing and accessories.  I used the time to buy my mother a purse and my father a hand carved, wooden wine holder.

purse wine holder

In the process of getting my family gifts I quickly learned the culture of the market.  After traveling through many other countries with my family I assumed that bargaining would be commonplace.  While this is true to some degree at any market anywhere in the world, I noted that it was not as prevalent here.  Luckily, most prices were reasonable from the start.

In addition to the diverse array of goods, we ran into different street performers at every corner, including musical groups of sizes ranging from one to ten playing different instruments and singing, magicians, puppeteers, and dancers.  They were very talented and a big hit with the crowds, contributing to the fun and unique character of the market.

IMG_20141109_163245860_HDR

For lunch, we grabbed the city’s favorite street food- chorizos.  Made up of a grilled sausage cut in half on bread, this authentic “fast food” also comes with the option of toppings including veggies, chimichurri, and different sauces.  Although I can’t imagine that I would be happy to learn the ingredients of the somewhat suspect-looking sausage, I allowed myself to ignorantly close my eyes and continue to enjoy the juicy and delicious mid-day meal.

chorizo

When we were ready to go back to the hotel we realized we had spent all of our pesos enjoying the market and that we would have to walk back!  Luckily, the excitement of the city streets persisted the entire journey back. We were surrounded by independence day festivals, street market, and bustling cafes and restaurants.  After an unusually lively Sunday, we were happy to return to the hotel for a siesta before getting dinner.