Southeastern Ohio’s woodlands are home to a rich assortment of plants ranging from our majestic oaks to the most delicate understory herbs. “Spring Edible Plants” will be the focus of the May 10 “A Day in the Woods-2nd Friday Series” program at the Vinton Furnace State Forest. This program will feature multiple guest presenters who will cover a wide range of spring edible topics in both indoor and outdoor sessions. Join us as we:
- Explore the spring woods in search of edible plants and fungi
- Learn about the health benefits that many of these plants can provide
- Discover ways that you can prepare these plants to add variety to your diet
- Learn about some of the edible fungi that you may find and can grow in your own backyard
A registration fee of $12 will cover the cost of lunch and program materials. Please RSVP by calling OSU Extension Vinton County at 740-596-5212, or email Dave Apsley at email@example.com by May 6.
Since 2012, “A DAY in the WOODS” has offered 61 programs with more than 2,500 participants attending. These programs have been presented by more than 100 natural resources professionals to woodland owners and enthusiast just like you.
Click here for directions and a map to the Vinton Furnace State forest: Directions – Experimental Forest
Click here for a brochure with registraiton information and more details about our full slate of programs for 2019: A DAY in THE WOODS 2019 Brochure Final Low Res-20zbq6d
“A Day in the Woods” and the “2nd Friday Series” are sponsored by the Education and Demonstration Subcommittee of the Vinton Furnace State Forest with support from Ohio State University Extension, ODNR-Divisions of Forestry and Wildlife, U.S. Forest Service (Northern Research Station, State and Private Forestry and the Wayne NF), USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service, Ohio Department of Agriculture, Vinton-Hocking-Athens Soil and Water Conservation Districts; Central State University Extension, the National Wild Turkey Federation, Pixelle Specialty Solutions, Ohio Tree Farm Committee, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Hocking College, and Ohio’s SFI Implementation Committee.
Be sure to mark your calendar so you don’t miss any of these opportunities to spend A DAY in the WOODS:
- Spring Edibles from Your Woods, May 10, Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Tree Identification, Bonus Friday-May 24, Hocking College-Natural Resources Building
- Non-game Wildlife, June 14, Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Woodland Stewardship Opportunities, July 12, Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Hemlock Ecosystems and Night Sounds, August 9, Camp Oty’Okwa and Hocking State Forest
- Timber Harvesting-Things to Consider, September 13, Zaleski State Forest-ODNR Complex
- Family Day in the Woods, Saturday, September 14, Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Woodland and Wildlife Research, October 11, Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Winter Tree Identification, November 8, Zaleski State Forest-ODNR