Southeastern Ohio’s woodlands contain a rich assortment of plants ranging from majestic oaks to the most delicate understory herbs. The focus of the May 11, “A Day in the Woods” program will be “Spring Wildflowers and Their Uses”. The featured guest presenters are Rebecca Wood an Herbalist and Ethnobotanist from Hopewood Holistic Health, and Tanner Filyaw, the Non-Timber Forest Products Program Manager with Rural Action.
This educational program is designed to help you:
- Explore the spring woods in search of spring wildflowers and fungi
- Learn about the medicinal properties of many of these plants
- Discover Ways that you can add variety and nutrition to your diet from the plants and fungi found in your woodland
- Spend the day exploring the edible and medicinal plants at Vinton Furnace State Forest with experts in the field
“A DAY in the WOOD” and the “2nd Friday Series” are sponsored by the Education and Demonstration Subcommittee of the Vinton Furnace State Forest with support from Ohio State University Extension, ODNR-Divisions of Forestry and Wildlife, U.S. Forest Service, Vinton County Soil and Water Conservation District, National Wild Turkey Federation, Glatfelter, Ohio Tree Farm Committee, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Hocking College, The Ohio Bird Conservation Initiative, the Ruffed Grouse Society, and Ohio’s SFI Implementation Committee.
For brochures, directions and more information about our full slate of programs for 2018, visit http://u.osu.edu/seohiowoods. The program begins at 9 am and ends at 3:30 PM. A registration fee of $12 will cover the cost of lunch and program materials. Please RSVP by calling OSU Extension Vinton County at 740-596-5212, or email Dave Apsley at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 9.
Since 2012, “A DAY in the WOODS” has offered 52 programs with more than 2,000 participants attending. These programs have been presented by more than 100 natural resources professionals to woodland owners and enthusiast just like you. Be sure to mark your 2018 calendar so you’re sure not to miss any of these 8 opportunities to spend A DAY in the WOODS:
- Spring Wild Flowers and Their Uses, May 11 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Breeding Birds, June 8 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Tree and Shrub Identification, July 13 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Woodland Stewardship Opportunities, August 10 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Family DAY in the WOODS, August 18 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Timber Harvesting Things to Consider, September 14, Zaleski State Forest – CCC Camp
- Fall Treasures in Your Woodland-Fungi, Lichens and More, October 12 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Woodland Wildlife habit, November 9 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
2018 A DAY in the WOODS Brochure: A DAY in THE WOODS 2018 Brochure – Low Res-wyeaef
Directions to the Vinton Furnace State Forest:Directions – Experimental Forest