Would you like to know more about white-tailed deer, wild turkey, squirrel, woodcock, ruffed grouse and other game species that inhabit woodlands in southeastern Ohio? Woodland owners and enthusiasts in SE Ohio will have the opportunity to learn from biologists from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources- Division of Wildlife on August 11 at the Vinton Furnace State Experimental Forest near McArthur.
Woodland owners and enthusiasts who attend this program will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about behaviors and habitat needs of common woodland game species
- Understand the relationship between wildlife habitat and forest succession and how they influence wildlife populations
- Visit and discuss a variety of woodland habitats found at the Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Interact with wildlife biologists and foresters, and become aware of the techniques and resources available to help improve woodland habitat in your woods
This program will take place on August 11th from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Vinton Furnace State Forest. A registration fee of $10 will cover the cost lunch and program materials. Please RSVP by calling OSU Extension Vinton County at 740-596-5212, or email Dave Apsley at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 7th.
“A Day in the Woods” and the “2nd Friday Series” programs run from May through November and are sponsored by the Education and Demonstration Subcommittee of the Vinton Furnace State Forest with support from Ohio State University Extension, ODNR-Divisions of Forestry and Wildlife, U.S. Forest Service, Vinton County Soil and Water Conservation District, National Wild Turkey Federation, Glatfelter, Ohio Tree Farm Committee, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Hocking College, Ohio Bird Conservation initiative and Ohio’s SFI Implementation Committee.
Map and Directions:Directions – Experimental Forest
Other programs scheduled for the 2017 ‘A DAY in the WOODS – 2nd Friday Series’ include:
- Tips, Tools, and Techniques to Improve Your Woods, September 8 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- White Oak – Importance, Ecology, and Management, October 13 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- From Trees to Lumber, October 27 – Hocking College
- Winter Tree & Shrub Identification, November 17 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Stargazing, November 17 (6:30-10:30 PM) – Vinton Furnace State Forest