Biographical Sketch – Peter M Anderson
- Brown University, Engineering, ScB, 1981
- Harvard University, Applied Science (JR Rice), ScM, 1982
- Harvard University, Applied Science (JR Rice), PhD, 1986
- University of Cambridge (England), Engineering (KL Johnson, N Fleck), PD, 1986-88
- 9/20-8/22, Program Director, National Science Foundation, Designing Materials to Revolutionize and Engineer Our Future (DMREF)
- 7/15-6/19, Chair, Materials Science and Engineering (MSE), The Ohio State University (OSU)
- 8/13-6/15, Associate Chair, MSE, OSU
- 9/10-present, Participating Faculty, Biomedical Engineering, OSU
- 9/05-present, Professor, MSE, OSU
- 7/09-8/09, Visiting Faculty, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
- 9/95-9/08, Adjunct Staff, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- 9/01-6/02, Bernd T Matthias Scholar, Materials Science & Technology Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- 9/94-9/05, Associate Professor, MSE, OSU
- 7/88-9/94, Assistant Professor, MSE, OSU
- 10/86-6/88, Postdoctoral Assistant, Engineering Department, University of Cambridge (England)
- 9/81-8/86, Research Assistant, Harvard University
- Scientific Board, Member. International Conference on Recent Trends in Structural Materials, 2019.
- International Scientific Committee, Member. International Conference on Strength of Metals and Alloys, 2019.
- Review Panel, Member. Air Force Institute of Technology, 2018.
- Organizer, International Conference on Strength of Metals and Alloys (ICSMA-18), Columbus, OH 2018.
- Advisory Committee on Research, Member, OSU College of Engineering (2019).
- Fellow, ASM International, 2021. Link
- Boyer Award for Excellence in Teaching Innovation(w/W Windl), 2015.
This award within the OSU College of Engineering recognized the development of a novel undergraduate modeling & simulation course in which students integrate atomistic and continuum computational techniques to design and maximize the mechanical performance of a polycrystalline beam. Typically, one award is given annually among ~ 300 faculty in engineering.
- Faculty Innovator of the Year Award(w/K Flores), Ohio Board of Regents, 2011.
This state-wide award recognized the development of online instructional and assessment modules in an introductory course on materials science and engineering taken by nearly 700 OSU undergraduates per year. The modules significantly reduced cost while providing increased achievement through a “mastery approach” that offers students multiple attempts to reach key milestones/skills in the course. This was one of 2-3 awards given across the state that year.
- Boyer Award for Excellence in Teaching Innovation, 2006
This award within the OSU College of Engineering recognized the use of technology to incorporate online and live video broadcasting to enable distance students – including high achieving students in an area high school – to learn introductory concepts in material science and engineering. The technology was also used to broadcast live experiments—including mechanical testing, electron microscopy, and casting into classrooms with up to 300 students. Typically, one award is given annually among ~ 300 faculty in engineering.
- Lumley Research Award, 2005.
This award recognized research achievements by the nominee in the area of multilayer thin films. Typically, 10 or so awards are given by the OSU College of Engineering among about 300 faculty.
- Bernd T Mattias Scholar, 2001.
This honor was bestowed by Los Alamos National Labs (LANL) and it provided the opportunity for a year-long period of research at LANL. Past recipients include: Richard Hoagland, David Pines, Barry Carter, Armen Khachaturyan, Robin Grimes, Brian Maple, and others. Only one award is made each year.
- Boyer Award for Excellence in Teaching Innovation, 1997
This award within the OSU College of Engineering recognized the development of a comprehensive set of presentation material to teach an introductory course on materials science and engineering. The material was marketed by John Wiley and Sons and used across the US, in Europe, and Australia. Typically, one award is given among ~ 300 faculty in engineering.
Collaborators and Co-Editors
- Gunjan Agarwal (The Ohio State Univ.), Othmane Benafan (NASA-Glenn), Erik Bitzek (Univ. Erlangen), John Carpenter (Los Alamos National Laboratory), Peter Derlet (Paul Scherrer Institute), Darrell Gaydosh (NASA-Glenn), Gunter Eggeler (Ruhr Universitat), David Gandy (Electric Power Research Institute), John P. Hirth (Washington State Univ.), Myoung-Gyu Lee (Pohong Univ. of Science and Technology), Lin Li (University of Alabama), James Maabe (Boeing), Sivom Manchiraju (ANSYS), Amit Misra (Los Alamos National Laboratory), Ron Noebe (NASA-Glenn), Andrew Payzant (Oak Ridge National Lab), Peter Sarosi (General Motors R&D), Steven Van Petegem (Paul Scherrer Instit.), Helena van Swygenhoven (Paul Scherrer Inst.), Michael Uchic (Air Force Research Laboratory), Raj Vaidyanathan (Univ. Central Florida), Cynthia Volkert (Universitat Gottingen)
Graduate and Postdoctoral Advisors
- James R Rice, ScM and PhD advisor, Harvard University
- Ken L Johnson, Norman A Fleck, Postdoctoral advisors, University of Cambridge, England
Thesis Advisor and Postgraduate Scholar Sponsor
- Joshua Askin (Corning), Lukmann Bawazer (UC-Santa Barbara), John Carpenter (Los Alamos National Lab), Xiang Chen (OSU), Yaogeng Chen, Danielle Dunham (OSU), Gregory Ebersole (Washington Univ.-St Louis), Jason Fain (Delphi, Inc.), Erik Glaser (Cleveland Clinic Foundation), Michael Gram (TiMet), David Gutschick (OSU), Eric Kreidler (Honda of America), Adrienne Lamm (Honeywell, Inc.), Huyong Lee (OSU), Myoung-Gyu Lee (Pohang Univ. Sci. Tech.), Lin Li (University of Alabama), Qizhen Li (Washington State Univ), Zhiyong Li, Marsha Logan, Sivom Manchiraju (Ansys Software), Sandeep Muju (Honeywell, Inc.), Harshad Paranjape (Colorado School of Mines), Eric Payton (Uni-Bochum, Germany), Deanna Phillips (Air Force Research Laboratory), Yao Shen (Shanghai Jiao tong University, China), Ryan Smith (OSU), Evan Sperling (Intel Corp), Alexander Veress (University of Utah), Martin Wagner (Uni-Bochum, Germany), Jue Wang, X.-J. Xin (Kansas State University), Yanyi Xu (OSU), Conghui Zhang (Xi’an University of Architecture and Technology)
- See the Publications link