Service Project Summary

Over the course of my second year at Ohio State, I completed my HSS major service project. I volunteered at two hospitals in Columbus each week throughout the year. This year, I volunteered at Nationwide Children’s Hospital and The Wexner Medical Center. At the Wexner, I volunteered on the women and infants postpartum floor. Here, I helped the unit coordinator with various tasks around the floor and nursery. I enjoyed this position because I was able to be involved in a hospital environment and observe the day to day occurrences on this floor. I hope to work in a hospital someday, so any interaction with the normal activities is helpful and interesting to me. I worked along side the nurses and was able to also gain a lot of valuable life advice. At Nationwide, I volunteered on the general medicine floor. Here, I was able to have a lot more patient interaction. I was able to play with children who did not have parents with them and hold babies that also didn’t have parents with them at the time. This was a great experience because I had very hands on interaction with the patients and I found this very helpful as I want to work with children as a physician’s assistant one day. Overall, my service project was a very well rounded hospital service experience. At the Wexner, I was able to help with the small tasks that keep a unit running. At Nationwide, I was able to help with patients and do my best to make a difference in their days spent in the hospital. I enjoyed this year and hope to continue volunteering in the future.