Here is some information about Alex’s family members:
- Alex’s mom, Sofia, was recently told that she is prediabetic and that she should change her diet and exercise more to get her blood sugar under control.
- Alex’s brother, David, was in a car crash and required an open reduction internal fixation of a fracture in his leg. The surgery went well and he’s discharged to home with some information about how to reduce swelling.
- Alex’s dad, Juan, needs a colonoscopy as a routine health screening now that he is getting older.
Materials specifically needed for Alex’s family members
- Diabetes & Exercise Patient Education
- Colonoscopy Patient Education-Spanish
- Foot and Leg Swelling Patient Education
Step 1: Choose which of Alex’s family members/ health conditions to evaluate
Step 2: Evaluate the patient education materials using the criteria from Simply Put
- Message Content
- Text Appearance
- Layout and Design (don’t worry about the information on an effective cover)
- Culture and Translation
At the end of the SimplyPut document there is a checklist for easy-to-understand print materials (Appendix A). Not all components will be applicable to the patient education materials you choose. For full credit you will need to address each of the 6 areas and at least 3 sub-areas.
Step 3: Choose one area and revise it to improve the readability and understandability of the materials.
Step 4: Choose one other area that needs revision and explain why (but you don’t have to revise it)
Step 5: Prioritize what 3 languages this material should be in