My mom, Sofia, was recently told that she is prediabetic. A few of my great aunts and uncles are/were diabetic, but hearing that mi madre needs to be careful… that hit me kind of hard.
I was with her at the appointment, and the doctor told us that there’s plenty she can do to get her blood sugar controlled- mainly diet and exercise, so there’s no need to fret, but there is a need for action now.
What are some of the upstream factors that could have influenced her poor glycemic control?
Here is some additional information about her:
- Sofia Elena Lopez, born January 12, 1969 in Mexico City, Mexico
- Moved to the United States in 1992 to pursue a Masters of Fine Arts in Dance the University of California, Irvine
- Met and married Juan David Gonzalez, Jr. (their anniversary is June 14, 1994)
- Gave birth to my brother, David, in 1996
- 1 miscarriage
- Gave birth to me in 1998
- Gave birth to my brother, Julio, in 2002
- She stopped working after her pregnancy with me and started working as a housekeeper and babysitter around 2010, once Julio was in school.
- After graduate school, mom worked for a while at various dance studios while working on choreography for theater productions.
- After David, she only worked at different studios teaching
- My grandmother came to live with my parents after David was born. My grandfather had died sometime before then