A new student has moved in!

Hi everyone!

My name is Emily Long, and I am the second and current Student In Residence at Westminster. I wanted to tell you all a little bit about myself and the purpose of this blog!

I’m a second year graduate student at Ohio State studying City and Regional Planning in the Knowlton School of Architecture. I’ve lived in Columbus for 5 years now, and I’ve known the amazing people with Age-Friendly Columbus and Franklin County for almost just as long. When the Student In Residence program launched last year, I have to say I had a few reservations. I had never heard of a twenty-something person living in an independent living community. Would residents want a student living with them? Would they be interested in talking with me? I receive a lot of questions from other people too when I tell them where I live. It is a bit different, the program is unique. I’m a twenty-four year old living in an older adult independent living apartment. But, I absolutely love it. I have been welcomed over the past couple weeks with open arms and warm conversations.

Moving days are stressful. Being a transient college student, I have had one too many moving days from apartment to apartment. In addition, moving up to the ninth floor of Thurber Tower in an elevator presented a new set of challenges. With an entire day of moving out of my old apartment and into Thurber Tower, I was stressed, tired, and a little out of my comfort zone. But as I picked up my keys at the front desk at Westminster and headed back outside to unload. I heard one of the residents say, “welcome home.” It hit me. This living program places me in a community. I live with people who care about me, slip notes under my door, and always ask how my classes and day are going. It is a wonderful feeling, a sense of community and belonging.

I cannot wait to continue this experience and learn from the residents here at Westminster. Please check in with me at this website to hear more about my experience!

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, cloud, sky and outdoor

One thought on “A new student has moved in!