Finding My Own Happiness

The book I selected was the Happiness Equation.  I chose this book because when I was searching through the options, this one stuck out to me. I have always held being happy as my highest goal and it is the one I strive to attain above everything else. Like I said, my main goal is to be the happiest version of myself that I can be and my goals are things that can lead to a happier me. The two goals I had were to make a ” 5 day plan” for studying for an exam and follow it strictly. I usually have an issue with procrastination, but I forced myself to follow this plan and it made me much happier by eliminating the stress of feeling like I am behind. The other goal I had was to be more productive in the mornings, especially Saturday mornings. I am notorious for sleeping in late, but I wanted to make a change and see how much happier I am when I wake up early and get things done.

The book gives 3 “secrets” on being happy and they go as follows,

• Be Happy First
  • Do It For You
  • Remember the Lottery
  • Never Retire
  • Overvalue You
  • Create Space
  • Just Do It
  • Be You
  • Do Not Take Advice

Of these 9, the one that resonated with me the most was to overvalue myself. This can seem selfish or even conceited, but I think the goal of this tip was to tell people to not feel lesser than others. Not everyone can be a movie star, or a famous athlete, but EVERYONE can be proud of who they are and value themselves very much. This was a great tactic in being happier in my opinion, it really allows you to feel your own worth and recognize how great everyone is in their own way.

These are my tracking methods:

The first tracking example was me tracking my productivity on Saturday mornings. I woke up at 8 a.m. and I tracked what I did every 15 minutes. This was very helpful in increasing my productivity and getting me up and ready for the day which just made me feel good.

The second tracking example was my “5 day plan” that I used to prepare for my economics exam. I took the 5 days leading up to the exam and used a template we previously used in the class and created a study plan for myself to stick to. This prepared me very well for my exam, I ended up getting a good grade so I got the satisfaction from that and I was able to avoid the stress of feeling unprepared.

My biggest takeaway from this project and book was to do whatever makes YOU happy. Life is short and we don’t need to waste time worrying about everyone else. The biggest piece of advice I can offer, is to live unapologetically you. Live the way you want to live and everything you do, make sure it makes you happy.