Festival of Lights

Social Event

Hindu Y.U.V.A. and Hillel hosted an event called the Festival of Lights at the Curl Market on November 16th. The festival worked to bring together the Indian and Jewish communities in an effort to celebrate the holidays of Diwali and Hanukkah. The beautiful event consisted of various cultural performances, food, games, and even fireworks. The most amazing part of the festival though, was the fact that so many people outside the Indian and Jewish communities attended the event, portraying the strong sense of community that exists on the OSU campus. This event had a huge impact on me as I observed all the people communicating, laughing, singing, and dancing in harmony. I was able to see how so many diverse groups of people exist on campus, and how it was so easy to come together to celebrate and enjoy our time together. The Festival of Lights displayed how though there are so many differences in the world, humans can still come together in order to celebrate the differences and each other, rather than let these distinctions break us apart.

Attending this event made me realize how beautiful the diverse cultures of our world are, and as a person who has always been interested in religions, arts, and cuisines, I understood that in order to truly understand those around me, I should go out and travel and explore more. Attending this event helped me realize that I want to travel the world, and not for pleasure, but as a way to gain global awareness.