International Affairs Internship Panel

September 09, 2019, Smith-Steeb Hall Glass Classroom

Professional Development Event

During this meeting, we were introduced to a panel of IA guest speakers with internship experiences. Going into the meeting, I did not think I would learn about anything I did not already know, but I was wrong. During the panel, they gave us helpful information by discussing how they obtained the internships, what kind of jobs they did, how they paid for expenses, and the opportunities the internship provided. Some of the internships were provided through the college itself, and those were somewhat easier to obtain, but other internships that were independent of the college were a little harder to get accepted into. However, both kinds of internships provided the students with great opportunities professionally and personally. Professionally, the students were able to have a hands-on-experience, and got the chance to learn a little more about the careers they were interested in. Personally, they were able to make friends with various people around them, travel, and get immersed in the culture around them. Expenses wise, they informed us about programs like S.T.E.P., which would provide us with grants that could be used during research, internships, and travel abroad programs. Other ways in which money was provided was through scholarships and stipends, but sometimes they had to pay themselves. I was also curious about how much overlapping occurred between different subjects in these internships, and it appears to be often. An example of this can be observed in Jenna’s internship where she was able to renewable energy, which pertained to both science and international studies. This prospect excited me because I have many varied interests ranging from science to art, that I have a hard time picking and choosing one. So, the ability to be able to dip my toe in a variety of situations exhilarates me.

I think the internship panel was a great chance to help us understand how to get opportunities that would help us succeed in the work force. It was nice that they told us about the various different programs they applied to and how much it did or did not benefit them. Listening to their experiences helped me draw up a game plan of my own that will hopefully lead me to be as successful as they are.