Bioethics Society Meeting

September 03, 2019, Enarson Classroom Building 206

Campus Event Reflection

This event was hosted by the Bioethics Society, and was a discussion about the ethics of a human-chimpanzee hybrid. The discussion began with an introduction to the creation of this hybrid that took place April of this year. The experiment was conducted in China as America had strict rules about chimpanzee experimentation. The experiment consisted of implanting human DNA into the embryo of a chimpanzee, and the goal was to create a chimera that would be able to provide human organs that could later be harvested for transplants. During the meeting, we discussed the ethics of the creation of chimeras and the room was pretty split up about the decision. Some of the group members thought that the creation was wrong as we had no right to bring this creation into the world just to kill it and use the organs. To some, this chimera was considered to be human, or some kind of an organism, and as a result, we did not think it was ethical to take its life to preserve our own. The other part of the group believed that it was right to bring this creation into the world. This was because the goal of the experiment was to create a non-sentient being that would not feel pain or any emotions. In this case, they thought it would be okay since the chimera would not comprehend the pain. I personally believe that it is wrong to bring a life into this world, whether it is sentient or not, just to kill it and use it for our gain. However, I also understand the counter argument that was given. As of now, I am against the creation of a chimera, but I am not so sure that I could say the same thing if someone I cared about needed a transplant and a chimera was the only way to save his or her life. As much as I want the argument to be cut and dry, I understand that our opinions can evolve overtime, or due to unforeseen circumstances.

We discussed many more sides of the debate and it was one of the most astounding discussions in my life. It was interesting getting to hear and decipher everyone’s opinions on the matter because it helped me obtain a more holistic view about the issue at hand. Though this debate does not have a clear solution, it was a great experience in showing me that not everything in life is cut and dry. This is a good situation to experience not only for the IA program, but also for a future in the medical field. First off, it is important to realize that everyone grew up in various kinds of environments that influenced them and their opinions in a different way. In my case, the reason I believe the creation of a chimera is wrong is due to my religion. In Hinduism, it is wrong to harm any kind of life and that is something I took to heart as I grew up. Still, not everyone grew up in the same environment as I did. For example, one of the other kids in the debate was raised in a family that had a strong belief in science, and as a result, he only considered the hard facts that were given. This meeting helped me realize that in any situation, whether that be professional or personal, people will have views that can vary from my own. Though this is the case, it is important to understand everyone’s argument and give them a chance to express their views. By being able to consider the various arguments provided, we will have a more holistic view about the issue, and can use that knowledge to finish a task that might be provided in our careers or personal lives.

I hope to be able to attend more meeting of this club because I think the issues being discussed are very interesting and mind-boggling. Not to mention that these are issues I will encounter in my future career in the medical field, so I think it is important to get a deep understanding of the concepts at hand. I can later use this knowledge to make more educated decisions that can help my patients and their loved ones.