Practice-Based & Lifelong Learning Story

So how are you going to do it? With you starting rotations, your husband starting his intern year, and being long distance? Have you figured out your visiting schedule? Who’s going to make the drive and all that?

My friend looked at me waiting for an answer. She wasn’t the first person to ask me this question, nor was she the last. Work-life balance, or rather work-life integration (a term I feel is more accurate), is a concern I had with starting clinical rotations back in third year. In the midst of the excitement and celebration of starting third year of medical school and finally practicing medicine, was also the realization that I was about to begin one of the most demanding periods in my life thus far. I was a newly wed, long distance with her spouse, whom is also in medicine and beginning his intern year in a surgical specialty, while I also find my footing in my clerkship. It was admittedly daunting to think about. How does one juggle marriage, medicine, long distance, and a spouse in an equally demanding career? The first two years of medical school had been a challenge on their own. In addition to the rigorous basic science courses, the various organizations I was a part of and had a few leadership roles in, trying to continue to my self-care activities of sleep and working out – I also alternated with driving or taking a flight to see my significant other. As a third year at that point, I was no stranger to trying to “juggle it all” and I have no doubts that this will continue to be a life long learning experience.

I am now a 4th year medical student, 2 months away from graduation, and I can confidently say, this work-life integration is not only do-able but filled with so much joy. During third year, I strove to be efficient in my studying, with the realization that every hour counts. I prioritized my well-being and exercised 3-5 days each week – mostly being motivated because I signed up a half-marathon was determined not to drop out of the October 2018 race (my way of celebrating my 28th birthday). At the same time, I was able to spend quality time with my husband, with me traveling to Cincinnati where he had relocated to or him making the trip to Columbus. We attended a weddings, celebrated friends’ achievements, and found joy in our moments together – throughout third year. There were certainly incredibly challenging times, especially around shelf exams, where I thought “how can I possibly do this?” or “This is all too much!” He was my cheerleader through it all, reminding me over and over again to study, do UWorld questions, read, read, read, because he knew what it took to succeed and wanted me to do the same. I listened to him vent after a long, stressful shift and he was a listening ear to my challenges.

Work-life integration has been a beautiful thing for me thus far. Challenging no doubt, but I am doing it, thriving, all by the grace of God, and for that I am thankful. Fourth year has admittedly been easier, with the flex months we’re granted, along with less testing and exams. However, as I start residency in a few short months, I know once again I’ll be in another season of learning, practicing how to integrate my work and life outside of medicine. My goal is to be an excellent physician – which would include learning as a resident as well as reading at home, perhaps 1 hour a night, as well as continuing the things that bring me joy outside of medicine – spending time with my family, working out 3-5 times a week. It is a life long process, a life long practice and I am excited to take it on. I am married to medicine both literally and figuratively and I wouldn’t change a thing.