Adams County Junior Fair members completing a food and nutrition or related project are eligible to enter the Junior Fair Bake Off. New for 2022, more than one member from a club may enter into a category as long as they meet the age and project requirements. Members must use the recipes provided. Grand and reserve champion baked goods in each category will be required to sell in the Junior Fair Sale on Friday evening of the fair.
Baked goods will be submitted on Thursday, July 14 at 3 p.m. in the Senior Fair Administration Building. Judging will begin promptly at 3:30 p.m. Awards will be announced that evening at 5:30 p.m. in the Administration Building.
1. The Junior Fair Baking Contest is open to current members of any Junior Fair organization or club that
have completed a food and nutrition or related project.
2. Participants may only be registered in one category and may represent only one Junior Fair
organization or club.
3. Each organization or club must submit entries by 4:00 p.m. on June 1st to the Extension office.
4. Each participant will: a) Bring the baked item they have prepared themselves according to the recipe
provided by the Junior Fair Board. b) Be required to take a written food preparation and nutrition test
when entering the baked item. c) Submit their baked item in a sealed container. NO EXCEPTIONS or
you will not be allowed to register.
5. All baked goods must be registered between 3:00-3:30 p.m. Judging will begin at 3:30 p.m. in the Senior
Fair Administration Building.
6. Scoring will be as follows: a) Quality of baked item – 60%. b) Nutrition test – 40%.
7. If a participant earns less than 50% on the written food preparation and nutrition test, the baked good
will not be eligible for placing or for the sale. Any participant who has difficulty reading should notify the
contest chair(s) at time of registration so assistance can be provided.
8. Classes will be divided into Junior (8-12 years of age) and Senior (13 years of age and older). All ages
as of January 1st of the current year.
9. Junior categories: Quick Bread, Cookies, and Basic Cake
10. Senior categories: Yeast Bread, Pie, and Specialty Cake
11. Awards will be presented at 5:30 p.m. in the Senior Fair Administration Building.
12. The awards given will be: Grand Champion – Rosette, Reserve Champion – Rosette, 3rd through 5th
places – Rosettes. Each participant will receive a participation ribbon.
13. Grand and Reserve Champion must sell in the Small Animal and Baked Goods Sale. The baker must
be present to sell and follow the Junior Fair Dress Code. NOTE: Grand and Reserve Champion winners
will not be eligible to sell any additional units in any Jr Fair Sale unless those units were also designated
as qualifying champions in their respective shows.
14. If, for some reason, the Grand or Reserve Champion is disqualified, no replacement will be selected
from that division for the sale.
15. Entries not placing must be picked up by 5:30 p.m. on Thursday