ACEL Outstanding Senior: Maddy Schupp

The Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership (ACEL) has named 13 students to the 2022 class of ACEL Outstanding Seniors. These students were selected by the faculty and staff of the department for their excellence both in and out of the classroom. Maddy Schupp, an agricultural communication major from New Philadelphia, Ohio, was named as one of ACEL’s Outstanding Seniors for 2022.

Read about Maddy’s Ohio State experience below.

Why did you choose your major?
I experienced the gap between farmers and consumers after educating a large array of consumers about the pork industry as the Tuscarawas County Pork Queen while I was in high school. I feel consumers should have confidence and understanding of the products they purchase at the grocery store. I choose the Agricultural Communications major to help consumers understand agricultural practices and production.

Why did you choose to attend Ohio State?
I chose to start my college career at Ohio State ATI in Wooster, Ohio which allowed me to start college close to home on a smaller hands-on campus. I fell in love with the ATI campus after competing in livestock judging contests and numerous college tours in high school. ATI offered the transition between high school and college that I needed prior to attending Ohio State’s Columbus campus.

What classes did you enjoy the most?
After taking a wide array of course at Ohio State some of my favorites included sales classes, public speaking classes, and graphic design. But never be scared to try something new with an elective, I truly enjoyed Barbque Science and Yoga.

What student organizations were you involved in and what roles did you hold within those organizations?
During my time at The Ohio State University, I was a member of the Sisterhood Committee of the Sigma Alpha Professional Sorority. In addition, I was a member of the Meat Science Club where I served as the secretary. I was also able to volunteer as on Project Advisor for the Valley Showstoppers 4-H Club in Tuscarawas County.

What internships did you complete and what were your responsibilities/projects as an intern?
Last summer I completed a Sales and Marketing internship with Schlessman Seed company in Milan, Ohio. With this internship, I was able to enhance my knowledge in seed and crop production by managing research plots and working alongside their salesmen. During my internship, I was able to design the cover of their seed catalog and field day invitations. My internship allowed me to apply skills taught within my courses to real life.

What stands out as your best college memory?
I had so many wonderful memories throughout my college career, but meeting my fiancee will always be my favorite memory.

How did the pandemic impact your college experience? Is there anything you missed because of it?
The pandemic had a large impact on the end of my college experience, but it definitely changes my outlook on life. You never know what tomorrow will bring, so dont wait until tomorrow to do the things you could do today. I missed out on many irreplaceable in-person college and experiences on the Columbus campus.