2022 ACEL Outstanding Senior: Alexa Rednour

The Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership (ACEL) has named 13 students to the 2022 class of ACEL Outstanding Seniors. These students were selected by the faculty and staff of the department for their excellence both in and out of the classroom. Alexa Rednour, an agriscience education major from Middletown, Ohio, was named as one of ACEL’s Outstanding Seniors for 2022.

Read about Alexa’s Ohio State experience below.

Why did you choose your major?
I chose agriscience education as my major due to my involvement in FFA during high school. I had always had an interest in agriculture and the impact it plays on the world. I chose to take an ag class my sophomore year and never looked back, this class not only allowed me to grow my knowledge of agricultural topics but also helped me to grow as a person and become more confident in myself as well as teaching me life skills such as public speaking record keeping, and more which I can carry with me the rest of my life. After being apart of ag classes and the Edgewood FFA chapter I realized that I wanted to make the same impact on the future generations that my Ag teacher and others had made on me. Along with this agriscience education has such a diverse learning environment that can help many students who may feel left out from “traditional” education classes feel as though they are at home. Agriscience Education has changed my life for the better and I hope to bring the same passion and knowledge to my future students so that we may build a stronger understanding of the importance of agriculture within daily lives and see that anyone can be a part of the industry regardless of background or interest.

Why did you choose to attend Ohio State?
I chose Ohio State due to the many opportunities and experiences that I could experience within a university with such a rich history in agriculture. Ohio State has many great programs within agriculture and I knew that by choosing to attend I would have those opportunities that could allow me to grow my knowledge as well as giving me chances to network with professionals and my peers. Along with this, I felt as though Ohio State had the atmosphere that I desired where people took pride in where they went and took that pride with them when they left, I could be proud to say I am a Buckeye and feel as though I am part of more than just a school.

What classes did you enjoy the most?
The classes I enjoyed the most were meat science, welding, barbeque science and teaching methods. In the meat science class I was able to learn so much not only about the basics of the meat industry but also common misconceptions, different cultures beliefs, scientific factors, laws and regulations, and proper handling and safety factors. Welding allowed me to get hands on experience of a trade that many people may underestimate when thinking of how important and skilled the profession is. Trade schools are often looked down upon but while taking welding it made it even more clear how important it is for these trades to exist and to be taken seriously. Barbeque science was my other favorite class that I have ever taken at Ohio State. I took this my senior year and was able to learn about all things BBQ related from proper food temps, cutting and choosing specific types of meat, brines/seasonings/sauces, grilling, and smoking meats, vegetables, and even fruits. This class was enjoyable actually taught a lot of important skills that you can use in your everyday life.

What student organizations were you involved in and what roles did you hold within those organizations?
At Ohio State I was apart of the Agricultural Education Society where I was apart of the Banquet Committee where we planned all aspects of the annual banquet for the organization.

What internships did you complete and what were your responsibilities?
I am currently completing my student teaching at Versailles High School in Versailles, Ohio. I am responsible for creating weekly lesson plans, projects, units, and other aspects of teaching and assisting with FFA related activities such as SAE visits, Career Development Events (CDEs), and more.

What do you plan to do after graduation?
After graduation, I plan at having my own agriscience education classroom with a High school and possibly middle school program where I can help students find their passion for agriculture while guiding them in the direction of success and to show them that they can reach their goals and potential.

What stands out as your best college memory?
My best college memory would be attending the Ohio FFA Camp at Camp Muskingum alongside my agriscience education peers. We were able to create lessons, teach and interact with students with disabilities. This memory is my best as it was an amazing opportunity to be with the students and learn about them, their lives, experiences, interests, and goals for themselves. It was extremely rewarding to get to connect with the students as well as get to know my peers better and build those relationships that not only helped during the short time we were there but will aid with my future students. It was a great opportunity that I really enjoyed and allowed me to build my connections, teaching choices, and leadership skills.

How did the pandemic impact your college experience?
The pandemic has impacted my college experience in a way that I would have never expected. One of the biggest things I missed out on were having the hands-on opportunities within my classes that I normally would have gotten to do such as visiting farms and schools. I also missed out on some of the athletic events and the “normal” college experience that others have gotten. Although this occurred, I still have enjoyed my experience and think that my time at Ohio State has given me many experiences and opportunities that will help me in my future.