2022 ACEL Outstanding Senior: Joanna Frankenberg

The Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership (ACEL) has named 13 students to the 2022 class of ACEL Outstanding Seniors. These students were selected by the faculty and staff of the department for their excellence both in and out of the classroom. Joanna Frankenberg, an agricultural communication major, was named as one of ACEL’s Outstanding Seniors for 2022.

Read about Joanna’s Ohio State experience below.

Why did you choose your major?
I chose to major in agricultural communication to bridge the gap from producers to consumers. I want to help communicate producers’ perspective from the industry while building an understanding to those without the agriculture background.

Why did you choose to attend Ohio State?
I chose to attend Ohio State because my parents are both alumni and growing up, they exposed me to the culture that felt like a community and home.

What classes did you enjoy the most?
I enjoyed classes that were applicable to the real world and helped me further my skills inside and outside the classroom. I like to learn about designing, photography and writing.

What student organizations were you involved in?
Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow – President, CFAES Peer Mentor, Alpha Zeta Partners – Social Committee, Sigma Alpha – Secretary, BuckeyeThon

What internships did you complete and what were your responsibilities/projects as an intern?
STGenetics, Ohio Cattlemen’s Association, COBA/Select Sires, Ayrshire Breeders’ Association

What do you plan to do after graduation?
I will be the communications coordinator at COBA/Select Sires.

What stands out as your best college memory?
One of my favorite Ohio State memories is joining in the on a snowball fight and sledding on the oval my junior year of college after a winter snow.

How did the pandemic impact your college experience? Is there anything you missed because of it?
During the pandemic I missed out on a lot of college experiences. I missed studying aboard within my major to Scotland/England as well as with Alpha Zeta Partners to Brazil.