2022 ACEL Outstanding Senior: Abby David

The Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership (ACEL) has named 13 students to the 2022 class of ACEL Outstanding Seniors. These students were selected by the faculty and staff of the department for their excellence both in and out of the classroom. Abby David, a community leadership major, was chosen as an ACEL Outstanding Senior.

Read about Abby’s Ohio State experience below.

Why did you choose your major?
I chose my major because I realized my passion was to help build better communities. My community has done so much for me and has substantially influenced my life, so I want to be a person that can lead, love, and be a part of a community like my own. Also, I love helping and educating people, being a leader, and loved growing up in my county’s 4-H program, all of which made this major an obvious choice for me.

Why did you choose to attend Ohio State?
I chose to attend Ohio State for both the agricultural program and the ample opportunities it offered me. A lot of my family has also attended Ohio State for agriculture, so it was nice to be a part of that tradition.

What classes did you enjoy the most?
The classes I enjoyed the most were History of Rock and Roll, Amish Society, and my community development courses. I enjoyed being able to explore concepts I already loved and apply them academically, while also learning so much more. I was always excited to go to these lectures! My community development courses in particular sparked my passions and have influenced where I plan to head in my life.

What student organizations were you involved in?
I was involved with the Agricultural Education Society (AES) and Collegiate 4-H. In AES, I was the Education and Outreach chairman for a year, and then became the club’s reporter. I also became an Exploration Peer Mentor this past semester and participated in athletic band, university band, and university chorus throughout my years here.

What internships did you complete and what were your responsibilities/projects as an intern?
I completed an internship with the Ohio Sea Grant in my county. I mostly observed during my time there, but helped with projects such as making a boating video, being a part of a documentary, electrofishing at Stone Lab, and participating in a beach cleanup. I was also given opportunities to teach lessons at Stone Lab and at a middle school summer program.

What do you plan to do after graduation?
My plan for graduation is to apply for AmeriCorps positions in Michigan, Ohio, or West Virginia, particularly focused on food security and farming non-profits. Once I have more hands-on experience through AmeriCorps, I will attend graduate school to complete a master’s degree.

What stands out as your best college memory?
My best college memory is when my friend and I got last minute tickets to see Fleetwood Mac! I had to go to concerts for my History of Rock and Roll class, so we both took the opportunity to see this legendary band. It felt like we could almost fall out of the seats because they were so high up, but it was so worth it. Best concert I’ve been to!

How did the pandemic impact your college experience?
The pandemic mostly made it harder to make close friends and explore the city, but I am still very thankful for the time I had. I think I missed out on going to more concerts and big events that could have been very fun.