ACEL Distinguished Senior: Kolt Buchenroth

Kolt Buchenroth is a senior studying agricultural communication with a minor in agribusiness. Originally from Kenton, Ohio, Kolt is a graduate of Kenton High School. He is one of 14 seniors from the the Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership to be named an ACEL Distinguished Senior.

Why did you choose your major?
I had just started at WKTN when I met Joel Penhorwood and Dr. Buck at the Ohio FFA State Convention. I knew I liked radio and I wanted to make that my career but related it back to agriculture. Joel was graduating that year and raved about his experience as a Buckeye. When I learned I could get a degree in two of my passions, it was all over. I was dead set on agricultural communication.

Why did you choose to attend Ohio State?
I’ve wanted to attend Ohio State as long as I can remember. I don’t want to say that was the only option — because it wasn’t. I spent my early days cheering on the Buckeyes, attending Skull Sessions, and even the occasional football game. After I got older and decided I wanted to stay in agriculture and had discovered radio, Ohio State was the clear choice for me.

What classes did you enjoy the most?
This is a hard one. Dr. Buck’s spring break photography trip was such a great experience. Dr. Specht’s 4130 class taught me so much about design. Tom Stewart’s classes are always fun yet informative. Dr. Whittington’s cultural proficiency class expanded my horizon and forced me out of my comfort zone. I have also enjoyed classes in other departments like Bethany Barker’s COMM 2221 Journalism class, Paul Peloquin’s fundamentals of radio and TV production class with WOSU, and Dave Fisher’s Buckeye TV classes were all challenging, but a lot of fun too. The AgriNaturalist production course is also a BLAST!

Spring break photography trip in Nashville, Tennessee

Taking photos on the spring break photography trip.

What student organizations have you been a member of as a student?
I was the vice president of Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow, director of public relations and communications for FarmHouse-ATZ Fraternity, a member of Collegiate Farm Bureau, and the editor-in-chief of the AgriNaturalist Magazine.

With fraternity brother Chris Young.

What internships did you complete and how did they help you decide what you did or did not want to do after graduation?
As mentioned, it was pretty clear I wanted to be a farm broadcaster. My time at WKTN as the agriculture news director showed me station life. While farm news was my title, I did a little bit of everything. It gave me an appreciation for local journalists and now our affiliate radio stations and how they operate. I learned the tricks of the trade too. I’ll always be thankful for my friends at WKTN that gave me my start and taught me what I know.

Interning at Ohio Ag Net was a natural fit. There is no turning back now, but that gave me the real dose of what it was like to work for a statewide radio network.

What stands out as your best college memory?
This is easily joining FarmHouse Fraternity. Ohio State is a big place, especially when you come here from Small Town, USA. FarmHouse gave me fraternity brothers all in the same boat. We’re all from our different corners of the state — or the country — and we’re all trying to figure life out in the city. It’s a support system and a group of friends. We’re a family. The only thing I would’ve done differently is rushed sooner!

Why should someone else consider your major at Ohio State?
Why WOULDN’T you attend Ohio State? We have expert faculty in a highly regarded and recognized program.

What do you plan to do after graduation?
I am excited to continue my role at Ohio Ag Net and Ohio’s Country Journal after I graduate.