ACEL Distinguished Senior: Kayla Ritter

Kayla Ritter is a senior studying community leadership with a specialization in leadership. Originally from Brookville, Ohio, Kayla is a graduate of Troy Christian High School. She is one of 14 seniors from the Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership to be selected as an ACEL Distinguished Seniors.

Why did you choose your major?
I knew I wanted to serve the community in a ministry capacity, but I did not know how to do that at a college that didn’t offer that major. Community leadership was a perfect major to help equip me to pursue this in the future while learning about non-profits and how they work. As well, I grew up in agriculture and knew I wanted to be a CFAES student, so this was a perfect place for me!

Why did you choose to attend Ohio State?
I grew up as a Buckeye and had always dreamed of being an Ohio State student. I originally was on a pre-vet track but changed to pursue ministry. Even though this change could have pushed me in a different direction, I felt sure that I wanted to continue with my plan to attend Ohio State.

What classes did you enjoy the most?
My favorite classes were those that pertained to learning leadership styles and contexts. Specifically, I really enjoyed Team Leadership and Organization with Greg Davis and Introduction to Leadership with Dr. N-G!

What student organizations were you involved in as a student?
Co-leader and vice president of Delight Ministries at Ohio State and a CFAES Study Abroad Ambassador

Share about your internships.
I interned in Costa Rica for the summer of 2019, where I worked with a mission’s pastor to provide support for their ministry. This internship confirmed for me that I wanted to work in ministry, but also showed me that I want to work within the context of the United States, at least for the time being.

What stands out as your best college memory?
I studied abroad in May of 2019 to Australia, where we learned about human impacts on the environment and got to travel up the coast to see different ecological areas.

Why should someone else consider your major at Ohio State?
This major is extremely versatile, allowing you to learn a variety of skills that would be useful in both nonprofit and for-profit businesses. I really enjoyed the diverse backgrounds of the staff and all the experiences they brought to the classroom, as well as the diverse paths the students plan to take after graduation.

What do you plan to do after graduation?
I have accepted the position of Regional Director in Austin, TX with Delight Ministries.