ACEL Distinguished Senior: Paige Schaffter

Paige Schaffter is a senior studying agriscience education with a minor in production agriculture. Hailing from Edon, Ohio, Paige is a graduate of Edon Northwest High School. She is one of 14 seniors in the Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership to be selected as an ACEL Distinguished Senior.
Why did you choose your major?
I chose my major because my agricultural educator had such a significant impact on me, truly shaped my character and personality through agricultural education and FFA. This experience equipped me with valuable lessons, knowledge, and skills that proved to aid me in life beyond her classroom and high school to get me where I am, and who I am, today. I wanted to make the same impact on others – to help them realize their full potential and capabilities by using agriculture and FFA as an avenue for success and skill development.
Why did you choose to attend Ohio State?
I chose to attend Ohio State because I was the only one in my immediate family to do so, even though we’re all die hard Buckeyes. I truly felt at home when I stepped foot on Ohio State ATI’s campus in Wooster, and I knew I would get the greatest education and experiences at Ohio State.
What classes did you enjoy the most?
The classes I enjoyed the most included chocolate science, beer and wine in Western culture, teaching methods 1 and 2, and my early field experience with Jaime Chenevey at West Holmes High School.
What student organizations were you involved in as a student?
I was involved with Agriculture Communicators, Educators, and Leaders of Tomorrow (ACELT), Community Council, Student Activities Council, OSU Voyagers, Hoof N Hide, Agriculture Education Society, and Celebration of Students- The Experience Committee. In Community Council I was co-president from 2018-2019; Student Activities event planner from 2018-2019, OSU Voyage Social Media Chair from 2019-present, committee member of “The Experience” committee for Celebration of Students banquet 2018-present, and a member of the Banquet Committee for AES in 2020.

Serving food in the AES food stand at Farm Science Review.

Speaking with prospective employers at our annual career fair.

What internships did you complete and how did they help you decide what you did or did not want to do after graduation?
As a student at OSU, I completed internships with the Williams County Extension Office and 4-H Youth Development as the summer assistant, CFAES Ambassador team (Wooster & Columbus), and CFAES Office of Education Abroad as the communications and marketing intern. The experiences with Williams County 4-H helped me to decide I most definitely did not want to work in that capacity after graduation, but I had the intrapersonal and organizational skills to do so if I wanted to.
My early field experience and student teaching experiences as part of my ASE course work have reaffirmed my desire to teach agriculture in a high school setting after graduating, and my time in each internship has allowed me to improve my organizational, communication, and facilitation skills while increasing my knowledge of the agriculture industry and its multiple facets, organizations, companies, and people.

Teaching lessons in our classroom.

What stands out as your best college memory?
I don’t have just one favorite or best memory from Ohio State, but one of my top favorites is being in The Shoe, The Schott, or The Covelli center, rain or shine, cheering on the Buckeyes and not having a voice the following day from cheering so loudly. I will miss all of those games, matches, and contests with my favorite people the most.
Why should someone else consider your major at Ohio State?
Someone should consider agriscience education at Ohio State because all professors are truly invested in your success, and providing you with experiences and resources to make your short four years at OSU the best years of your life. They not only assist with coursework and scheduling, but truly care for their students’ emotional, mental, and physical health. They help you network with incredible educators who are going to provide you with so many additional skills and knowledge outside of the traditional classroom. Furthermore, they connect you with companies, alumni, faculty, staff, and other students who are all invested in your future and willing to help you achieve your goals.
What do you plan to do after graduation?
As of right now, I plan to apply for a teaching job in a high school or middle school setting teaching agriculture and advising FFA members.