ACEL Distinguished Senior: Olivia Pflaumer

Olivia Pflaumer is a senior studying agriscience education with minors in production agriculture and environmental sciences. A Chillicothe, Ohio native, Olivia is a graduate of Zane Trace High School. She is one of 14 seniors from the Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership to be selected as an ACEL Distinguished Senior. You

Why did you choose your major? 
I chose agriscience education because of the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on agriculture, the environment, and my community by working with students in and outside of the classroom.

Why did you choose to attend Ohio State?
I chose to attend Ohio State for a lot of reasons! The main reason being that the people I looked up to most in high school, my agricultural educators, went to Ohio State and I hoped to grow just as they did!

What classes did you enjoy the most?
Some of my favorite classes have been with Dr. Mary Rodriguez. I had the opportunity to take several classes with her throughout college, and each class provided an opportunity to challenge my thinking and grow.

What student organizations were you involved in as a student?
I’ve been a member of Agricultural Education Society and served as the reporter and the president and was a member of the OSU Rock Climbing Club and served as the outdoor chair.

What internships or field experiences did you complete?
I completed two internships with Stratford Ecological Center in Delaware, Ohio. First, as a sustainable agriculture intern and then as a coordinator for a beginner farmer program. Both opportunities, provided hands-on experiences of working with people and the land. These experiences helped me grow as a future educator in the classroom. I also completed my student teaching experience with Global Impact STEM Academy in Springfield.

What stands out as your best college memory?
There’s too many! Some of my favorite moments come from singing Carmen Ohio at the end of events. These moments always make me tear up, as they remind me the community and family that exist because of Ohio State.

Why should someone else consider your major at Ohio State?
The support and opportunities to grow at Ohio State have been endless. I can’t imagine spending my undergraduate career anywhere else.

What do you plan to do after graduation?
I hope to teach as an agricultural educator, wherever I can!