ACEL Distinguished Senior: Courtney Heiser

Courtney Heiser is a senior studying agricultural communication with a minor in production agriculture. Originally from Attica, Ohio, Courtney is a graduate of Seneca East High School. She is one of 14 seniors in the Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership to be selected as an ACEL Distinguished Senior.

Why did you choose your major?
I grew up on my family’s row crop farm in Seneca County and always enjoyed being on the farm, riding in the tractors with my dad, and learning about different parts of the agriculture industry. I couldn’t wait to get involved in organizations like 4-H and FFA to continue to grow my passion for agriculture. In high school, I became actively involved with the Seneca East FFA chapter. As an officer, I made connections with a lot of local agriculture professionals. During the summer of my junior year, I job shadowed a director of marketing at a local cooperative which really drove my decision to study agricultural communication. I loved the opportunity to learn more about different aspects of agriculture and share new information with farmers and consumers.

Why did you choose to attend Ohio State?
As a first-generation college student, my mentors really helped me decide on what school to attend. Not only did I want to be a Buckeye, but my high school agricultural educator and FFA advisor, Bryan Crapo, was a big influence. He really encouraged me to further my education in agricultural communication because he studied at Ohio State and was very helpful with everything along the way. Ohio State also offered a vast range of scholarships that were easy to apply for and made a huge difference when determining where to go to college.

What classes did you enjoy the most?
I enjoyed all of my coursework throughout my time at Ohio State, but I would have to say my top three favorite classes included campaign design and management with Tom Stewart (AGRCOMM 5130), culture proficiency (COMLDR 3535) with Dr. Susie Whittington, and foundations of personal professional leadership (3530) with Rod Welker.

What student organizations have you been involved in as a student?
At CFAES Wooster, I was involved in ACEL of Tomorrow and got to serve as the organization’s first official president alongside my outstanding executive team and passionate advisors. When I transitioned to the Columbus campus I got involved in the Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow, and currently serve as the president. I also got involved with Alpha Zeta Partners and traveled to Brazil and Washington D.C. with 13 other students in CFAES. While at both campuses, I served as an ambassador for CFAES, making connections with prospective students and families sharing my story as an agricultural communication student.

Agricultural Communicators, Educators, and Leaders of Tomorrow at the annual ACEL Banquet in 2019

ACT at the annual Night for Young Professionals event in 2019

What internships did you complete?
I had the opportunity to complete several internships during my tie as an undergraduate. During the summer of 2019, I served as the communications intern for Ohio Soybean Council. During the 2019-2020 academic year, I was the communications intern for the Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership. During the summer of 2020, I served as Heritage Cooperative’s marketing intern.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of my internships and very grateful that I have the opportunity to continue to do what I love after graduation as a marketing specialist with Heritage Cooperative.

What stands out as your best college memory?
Looking back on my college career, I am very thankful that I had the opportunity to travel to Brazil with Alpha Zeta Partners during January and February 2020. I made so many friends and memories and learned about the similarities and differences between Brazilian and U.S. agriculture and culture.

In Brazil with Alpha Zeta Partners in early 2020

Why should someone else consider your major at Ohio State?
The agricultural communication major is such a unique major. For me, I was able to tie my two favorite things together – agriculture and helping others! One great thing about the agricultural communication major is that you will have so many opportunities for diverse internships and jobs after graduation – you have to have communication skills for any job, and as an agricultural communication major, you’ll be the cream of the crop when applying for jobs!

What do you plan to do after graduation?
After graduation, I will be working for Heritage Cooperative as a marketing specialist.