ACEL Distinguished Senior: Marlee Stollar

Marlee Stollar is a senior studying agricultural communication from Marietta, Ohio.

Stollar grew up helping family with their agritourism farm and was a 4-H member. Both of these programs fueled her passion for agriculture. After being prompted to look into the agricultural communication major by her mom and sister, a student in the Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership at the time, she visited campus and knew it was the major for her.

As a senior, Stollar was selected by faculty in the Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and leadership as one of 10 students to be named an ACEL Distinguished Senior.

Stollar has been active in Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow, serving as education chair, vice president and now president. She also was a co-chair of the CFAES Celebration of Students Banquet, a member of Towers Agricultural Honorary and their reporter and service chair, along with a sister in Alpha Sigma Upsilon.

She also completed a variety of internships with Congressman Bill Johnson, Ohio State University Extension’s Community Development office, Dairy Farmers of America, Mideast Area Office and Local Matters.

“My Local Matters and Community Development roles have helped me to better realize my passion for helping others,” said Stollar. “I hope to be the communications director of a nonprofit relating to food education and access in the future.”

Education Abroad was also a part of Stollar’s experiences at Ohio State. “I would say my best college memory was going to Brazil with Alpha Zeta partners. Specifically, I really enjoyed staying with my host family. That weekend, my best memory was visiting an agritourism-type lunch place in Brazil and getting ice cream afterwards with my host sister,” she said. She also traveled to England and Scotland with the agricultural and environmental communication program.

In the classroom, Stollar excelled in her agricultural communication courses and found that her favorite courses were both within and outside of her major. However, these courses both confirmed desire to work in nonprofit communications.

“My favorite class in the ACEL department was publication design and production with Dr. Specht,” said Stollar. “I learned so much about the basics of design, which has helped me so much in internships and jobs. One of my favorite parts about the class was learning more about fonts. Fun fact–my favorite font is Avenir!”

“Another class I really enjoyed was in the John Glenn College of Public Affairs, Introduction to Nonprofit Organizations. I learned so much about the importance of nonprofits in our world today, and all of the materials were relevant and interesting. It has also further developed my passion for food access and education,” she said.

When asked why someone should consider the agricultural communication major at Ohio State, Stollar shared “Agricultural communication gives students the tools to succeed in the communication field. You learn to improve your writing, as well as your design and photography skills. The professors are very helpful as well–they are always there to assist you if you need it. I would tell students to choose ag comm to be best prepared for communication in the agricultural industry.”

Following graduation, Stollar will enroll in graduate school at Ohio State where she will work towards a master’s degree in agricultural communication.

Marlee and a jersey cow at the Waterman Ag and Natural Resources Laboratory during ACT’s annual Farmers Share.

With Meredith, comparing photos during a study abroad trip.

Recruiting new ACT members at the annual CFAES Back to School Bash.

On the CFAES Agricultural and Environmental Communication study abroad program in England and Scotland.