Intern Spotlight: Oglesby interns with OSU Extension, Highland County

Meredith Oglesby
junior
agricultural communication

During the summer of 2018 I had the opportunity to intern with The Ohio State University Extension in Highland County. I worked closely with our county extension agent to prepare for 4-H camps, summer judging and the Highland County Fair.

I worked a large part to plan Clover Fun Day. The theme this year was “Down on the Farm with 4-H.” I worked to create name tags, design t-shirts, and ensure we had all the supplies needed for the activities and meals. I also worked with the Highland County Junior Leaders who are the members who are in charge of the event. It was fun to design and create all the materials needed for the day.

Summer judging takes place in July which is where the cooking, sewing, and several other special interest projects are judged. I helped to write the press releases for the awards ceremony, crafted the packets for the first-place winners, worked closely to ensure all the scoresheets and folders had the scoresheets and questions for each project. I helped to create the state fair packets for the members who qualified for state fair. I loved learning about projects I had no idea existed and working on my communication and writing skills.

While in the office I interacted with those who came into the office for different needs. I answered the phones, learned how to balance and work with money for different items sold, and filed papers. I also designed and wrote the monthly newsletter entitled “Highland Happenings.” I learned more about working with branding guidelines.

During the final weeks of my internship I worked to prepare materials for the Highland County Fair which is the week of Labor Day. I copied and prepared scoresheets and questions for the judges. I also worked to create a schedule for special interest judging at the fair.

Interning with extension was a fun experience to learn to design and create different marketing materials and work to gain skills in the communication field.

Meredith (far right) with 4-H participants.