Alumni Spotlight: Jennifer Hubble ’94

Jenny Hubble ’94 is an agricultural communication alum and currently serves as the senior vice president for communications for the American Dairy Association Mideast.

[ACEL]: Hi Jenny! Tell us why did you selected agricultural communication as your major.
[Hubble]: I always knew I wanted to work in the communications field, and more than likely owe that to my experience in 4-H.  Choosing agricultural communication as my major allowed me to blend my passion for agriculture with a desire to pursue a career in communications.

Why did you choose to attend The Ohio State University?
I was born a Buckeye! My grandparents and parents attended Ohio State, and I am proud that my daughter is currently carrying on the tradition as a fourth-generation Buckeye.

How did your education at Ohio State influence your career path?
While at Ohio State, I had the opportunity to have several internships, which allowed me to explore different areas of agricultural communication, including broadcast, writing, design, advocacy and public relations. These experiences helped me define what type of communication I enjoyed most (and least).

What were you involved in as an Ohio State student?
I was involved in Ohio State’s chapter of Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow. I also had the privilege of being elected to serve as vice president of the National Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow organization.

What classes did you enjoy the most while at Ohio State?
When I was at Ohio State, the Ag Comm major included classes from the School of Journalism (“J School”) and communication courses from the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences (CFAES).  My two favorite classes were one from each side of the river – the J School’s news writing course allowed me to have articles published in The Lantern, and CFAES’s magazine class gave me the opportunity to write, edit and publish the AgriNaturalist with my classmates.

What professor, faculty or staff member had an impact on your education/career?
Dr. Curtis E. Paulson, professor of agricultural communication, made the greatest impact on me while at Ohio State.  He was my advisor and mentor. Dr. Paulson encouraged me to seek out opportunities to make the most of my education and to be a leader. He was a true advocate for his students and for his field.

What is your favorite memory related to your time at Ohio State?
One of my favorite memories at Ohio State was being selected as a Top 10 Senior for the College of FAES. This recognition was an honor and a celebration of my four years of hard work!

What was your first job following your education at Ohio State?
I began my career in 1994 with the American Dairy Association Mideast as a communication specialist. I have been lucky enough to work for the same organization for the past 24 years! However, my role and responsibilities have changed many times, giving me new and challenging opportunities throughout my career.

During your career, have you received any awards or honors?
I was awarded the Young Professional Achievement Award from CFAES in 2000/2001. I was also honored to serve as president of the Ohio Agricultural Council in 2014 and 2015.

As of today, what is your favorite career highlight?
I am most proud of my organization’s consumer communication efforts to educate people about how dairy farmers care for their cows and their land to assure they can responsibly produce safe wholesome dairy foods. Our approach has been innovative and a model for other organizations.

What advice would you give to a current student?
My advice to students is to gain as much experience as possible in various areas of your field of study. Being well-rounded makes you more marketable!

What did ACEL cultivate in you?
My experience at Ohio State and with ACEL inspired me to be an advocate for Ohio’s agricultural community. Although my roots are in agriculture, I knew I didn’t want to return to the farm after graduation. ACEL helped me discover a way to support and advance an industry I love and appreciate.