Alumni Spotlight: Louis Damschroder ’76, ’78 MS

Louis Damschroder graduated with his bachelors in agricultural education in 1976, and in 1978 he completed a masters degree, also in agricultural education. Damschroder retired as the agricultural science teacher from Oak Harbor High School, a satellite program of Penta Career Center, and is currently working as an assistant for Crosser Funeral Home, also in Oak Harbor.

[ACEL]: Hi Louis! Why did you select to major in agricultural education, and also elect to get a master’s degree?
[Damschroder]: I started as an agricultural engineering major, but switched to agricultural education early in my college career.  I followed a dual major program in undergraduate school with agricultural education and animal sciences, graduating in 1976.  I enrolled in graduate school and received my master’s degree in agricultural education in 1978.

Why did you choose to attend Ohio State University?
Ohio State was the only school to offer the agricultural engineering and agricultural education degree programs in Ohio.  I applied to Ohio State after I learned I was in the top ten list to be drafted and sent to Vietnam, unless accepted in a college program. I received a Class H deferment until I finished my degree program, and by then the war had ended.

How did your education at Ohio State influence your choice of career and your career path?
I was hired the first day after receiving BS degree in 1976 by Oak Harbor High School as the production agriculture teacher.  I was a second teacher in the program with my mentor being Larry Heintz. We worked together for 17 years and it was a great working relationship. I continued to work in this program for 18 more years with other teaching partners including: Dan Schroer, Keith Thorbahn, Joe Miller, Mark Starkey, Noah Neiderhouse, and Krysteena Brown Lawrence, and was also honored to serve as mentor to nine student teachers sent from Ohio State.

What were you involved in as an Ohio State student?
I was a member of the Agricultural Education Society, but very limited in activities.  I was a very active member of Delta Theta Sigma fraternity, being an officer for three years and participated in many campus and off campus activities. I worked in the Meat Lab on campus for one quarter, while a student in Animal Science 453 class.

What classes did you enjoy the most while at Ohio State?
I really enjoyed teaching methods and student teaching.  My student teaching experience at Lakota High School changed my outlook on life. The students were very receptive and respectful to me and was the first time in my life that I really felt that I made a difference.  I also enjoyed animal nutrition with Drs. Cline and Tyznik, Agricultural Education 100 with Dr. LH Newcomb, and Meat Lab Animal Science 453 with Ned Parrett.

What professor, faculty or staff member had an impact on your education/career?
I really enjoyed Dr. LH Newcomb, Dr. Leon Boucher, Dr. Lowell Hedges, Dick Hummel- supervisor, Dr. Vern Cahill, and countless others all believed in me, even when I did not believe in myself.  The agricultural college was like a family, which took care of each other. I know I was a handful as an undergraduate student and after receiving my bachelor degree in 1976, was told that the ag program at Oak Harbor would fold within 3 years with my attitude.  What a GREAT inspiration!

What is my favorite memory related to your time at Ohio State?
Best memories are of my DTS fraternity brothers. I loved the time spent with them and continue to be in contact with them today. I also fondly remember helping with the Little Internationals, Rose Bowl Trips in 1975 and 1976, all ag playoffs between all the fraternities in football, basketball and softball.

What was your first job following your education at Ohio State?
I started as production agriculture teacher on July 1, 1976 at Oak Harbor High School and retired from that position on June 1, 2011 – a 35 year career, which I enjoyed immensely! I would start over again in a heartbeat.

What positions have you held throughout your career, both professionally and in your profession and community?

Oak Harbor FFA & YF Advisor – 1976-2011

Honorary State FFA Degree winner – 1992 & 2011

Honorary American FFA Degree winner – 1992

Guest lecturer at Ohio State about grief counseling students – 1999-2001

Oak Harbor Education Association officer – 6 years

NW Ohio Education Association Leadership seminars – 3 years

National Education Association member – 1976-2011

OVATA District officer 12 years, (Chairman, Vice, Sec. Treasurer)

OVATA State Officer – Secretary, 1991

OVATA Outstanding program award – 1987

OAAE Outstanding Adult program – 2009

OAE Pacesetter award winner – 1991 & 2009

Ohio YF State Tour host – 2007

Deltha Theta Sigma Board of Directors- 3 years

St. John Lutheran Church – member, Sunday School Teacher, dirtball, officer, council-1991-present

Oak Harbor Girls Softball Association President – 6 years

Ottawa County OSU Alumni member, officer, fundraiser committee-1991-present

Ohio Hunter Education and Trapper Certification instructor – 25 years.

Ohio State Buckeye Club Donor – 1991 – present

BCS Education Foundation committee – 6 years

Ottawa Soil Water Conservation Teacher of Year – 2010

Oak Harbor Lions Teacher of Year – 2011

Oak Harbor Community Service “Dorothy Heiks” award winner – 2011

Grand Marshall of Apple Festival Parade – Oak Harbor – 2011

Quality Assurance instructor for Ottawa County – 2005-2012

As of today, what is your favorite career highlight? 

First – witness to students receiving awards that they worked hard to achieve.

Second – witness the work of student teachers to excel in classroom and with FFA Activities while working with the students at Oak Harbor High School.

Third – spending a week each summer at FFA Camp Muskingum with 10-25 students.

Fourth – witness to student achievements during Ottawa County Fair week.

What advice would you give a current student?

1. Never close any doors of opportunity
  2. Be serious in class and work like your life depends upon your results
  3. Be open to the point of view of others, that you respect
  4. Participate in as many activities as possible

What did ACEL cultivate in you?
The agriculture college was its own little campus.  All staff looked out for us, whether or not deserving of attention. The College gave us best opportunities to excel in various activities.  I loved my time on campus and the people that were there in the place of role models and staff. THANK YOU for giving me a chance to live a very production and comfortable adult life.

One of the future ag teachers, Laura Stacklin Ringler, Damschroder mentored during her student teaching at Oak Harbor.

One thought on “Alumni Spotlight: Louis Damschroder ’76, ’78 MS

1. So many lives touched in so many different ways, Congratulation Mr. Damschroder. Our community is proud to call you ours.