Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Rosemarie Rossetti ’75, ’79 MS

Rosemarie crowned Ms. Wheelchair Ohio 2004

Dr. Rosemarie Rossetti is from Columbus and completed her bachelor, master and doctoral degrees at Ohio State. She is currently self-employed as the president of Rossetti Enterprises Inc.

Why did you select your major or graduate program?
I selected a dual major in agricultural education and horticulture for my undergraduate program. I had always enjoyed school as a student and wanted to become a teacher. In high school I took a horticulture class my senior year and knew that I wanted to learn more about plants and focus on this subject in college

Why did you choose to attend The Ohio State University?
I choose Ohio State because it was close to my home so I could live at home and commute. Ohio State had the majors I was interested in and was affordable.

How did your education at Ohio State influence your choice of career or your career path?
I attended Ohio State for my B.S. (1975), M.S. (1979) and Ph.D. (1982) degrees. I chose agricultural education for all my degrees. My first job when I graduated was teaching horticulture at the Delaware Career Center. After three years of teaching, I returned to Ohio State for my graduate education. In 1986, I was hired on the faculty in the Department of Agricultural Education and continued teaching there until 1997.

What campus activities were you involved in as an Ohio State student?
As a graduate student I was the president of the Graduate Student Association in the Department of Agricultural Education for a year. I was hired by the Department as a graduate teaching assistant and research assistant.

What classes did you enjoy the most while at Ohio State?
The classes I enjoyed the most were the teaching methods classes taught by Dr. L.H. Newcomb. I found these classes to be totally relevant since my career path was to be a teacher. Newcomb made the classes lively, interesting, and interactive. He was a master teacher showing how people learned and how to teach.

What faculty member played an important role to you during your education?
Dr. L.H. Newcomb. He was a graduate teaching assistant when I enrolled in my first agricultural education class as an undergraduate student. He was a wonderful instructor and taught me what I needed to do in order to teach. He encouraged me to take my first job teaching horticulture.

When I enrolled in the department as a graduate student, he was my faculty advisor and taught the teaching methods class. He was also the leading faculty member for my dissertation. Again I learned from him. He was a role model to me. I was fascinated in how clearly he communicated. As a speaker he was eloquent and chose his words wisely.

In 1986, when there was an opening for a new faculty member to be hired in the department, I interviewed with Newcomb and many others. Newcomb called me at home to invite me to start working at the Department. He became my boss. I continued to learn from him.

What is your favorite memory related to your time at Ohio State?
Being a part of the Department as a graduate student was an exciting time for me. I became friends with many fellow students and the faculty. I enjoyed being a teaching assistant for the communications and teaching methods classes. The other graduate students who had offices in the Department were my best friends. They took the same classes as me and we studied together. Social events were always a fun break including being on the water polo team with them. 

What was your first job following your education at Ohio State?
My first job when I graduated was teaching horticulture at the Delaware Career Center.

Share the positions you have held throughout your career.

Rossetti Enterprises Inc., Columbus, OH
Speaker, consultant, author
President, January 1997 – Present

Fortuna Press, Columbus, OH
Publisher and author of “Take Back Your Life! Regaining your footing after life throws you a curve
President, April 2003 – Present

Rosewell Publishing Inc., Columbus, OH
Publisher and co-author of “The Healthy Indoor Plant
President, October 1991 – September 2000

The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Assistant Professor, July 1990-January 1997
Vocational Education Consultant, October 1987-June 1990
Instructor, September 1986-September 1987
Graduate Teaching Associate, September 1978-June 1982

Stanford Interior Gardens, Inc., Columbus, OH
Vice President of Sales and Marketing, July 1978 – September 1986

Delaware Career Center,  Delaware, OH
Horticulture Instructor, August 1975 – July 1978

During your career, honors or awards have you been presented?

Instructor of the Year – Columbus Realtors – April 2016
Tourism Partner of the Year – Gahanna Convention & Visitors Bureau – March 2016
Proclamation from the Ohio Senate – December 2014
Unsung Hero Humanitarian Award – People of Distinction Foundation – October 2014
Twenty Outstanding Women You Should Know – 2008
National “Roll Model” Discovery Through Design – 2005
Wheelchair Ohio – 2004
Winter Olympic Torchbearer – 2002
Remarkable Women Award – 2002
National Speakers Association, Ohio Chapter Award – 2002
Woman Business Entrepreneur of the Year- 1999
Women in New Growth Stages – Women Honoree Award – 1999
Franklin Park Conservatory – Recognition of Service Award – Board of Trustees – 1999
The Ohio State University College of Agriculture Teaching Award – 1995

As of today, what is your favorite career highlight?
I am most proud of working with my husband, Mark Leder as we led a national design team, served as the general contractors, and built our home, the Universal Design Living Laboratory.

This is a national demonstration home and garden that showcases universal design, accessible design, and green building practices. Because of my spinal cord injury on June 13, 1998, I needed a home that would provide me independence since I use a wheelchair. This home project spanned a 10 year journey for Mark and me. Much of my current speaking, writing and consulting are centered on our home. 

What advice would you give to a current student?
You were attracted to your major because of many experiences in your life and a vision for what you want to do and who you want to become. Realize that learning is a lifelong process. Continue to pursue advanced degrees, new areas of study, and seek out certifications in your field of study.

What did ACEL cultivate in you?
The ACEL Department cultivated friendships with the faculty, students and staff in the Department, in other Departments, and in the College. When I think back on the decades that I have spent in the Department, I think of the people I worked for, worked with, and had as students in my classes. I cherish and continue to nurture these life-long friendships.

Rosemarie and her husband, Mark Leder, in their home the Universal Design Living Laboratory

Rosemarie speaking at her client’s Leaders Conference.