Alumni Spotlight: Michelle Stevens Callahan, ’88

Michelle Stevens Callahan came to Ohio State from her hometown of Williamsport to major in agricultural communication. Since graduating with a bachelor of science in 1988, she has worked as a journalist, communications manager and freelance writer. She now works for the Pickaway County Library as the outreach coordinator, a position she has held for more than 13 years.

[ACEL]: Hi Michelle! Tell us why you selected to attend Ohio State and major in agricultural communication?
[Callahan]: I followed in my father’s footsteps by going to Ohio State. He was editor of the Ohio Farmer and American Small Farm magazines and he made agricultural communication look fun. He was right!

As a student, how were you involved in student activities?
As a freshman, I served as the state secretary for the Ohio FFA, which kept me on the run. I also enjoyed being a part of the Agricultural Education Society and served as a banquet chair. Through the Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow, I served alongside classmate MaryAnn Kistler as a national officer for the newly formed organization. I was named an outstanding senior in the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences in 1988. I worked for Dr. Lowell Hedges, an agricultural education professor, copying and filing his many handouts. His secretary, Diane Morganstern, and I share the same birthday.

What classes did you enjoy the most while at Ohio State?
Putting together the AgriNaturalist was my favorite class (agricultural communication 400, on the quarter system). It gave me practical experience that I put to use in “the real world.” I was glad I took it multiple times right before graduation so everything was fresh when I started working.

I enjoyed agricultural systems management 241, building and construction, as it gave me a different set of real-life skills. Agricultural economics 310 gave me a business plan for a PR firm that I still have in a file drawer. I also enjoyed some of my general electives – theater 100, psychology 100, archery and badminton – because they were so different from any of my previous experiences.

Did a particular faculty or staff member have an influence on you?
Dr. Barbara Cooper was my advisor and was a lifesaver for me on my very first day at Ohio State when I had no classes on the CFAES campus and was feeling very lost and overwhelmed. She helped me switch my schedule around so I could be on the campus where I was comfortable because it was familiar to me from my FFA experiences. She was also an excellent mentor for me, helping me obtain internships and advising the ACT club and AgriNaturalist. We still exchange Christmas cards every year.

Share one of your favorite memories from your time as a Buckeye.
My favorite memories involve my roommates (Sandy Kuhn, Sharon Lambert Thacker and Beth Rice Reigelmayer, all 1988 grads from CFAES), having halitosis parties in Norton House, working as an orientation leader and living in Morrill Tower for a summer and getting married between my junior and senior year to OSU alum John Callahan. We are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this year!

What was your first job following your education at Ohio State?
My first job after graduation was with the Marysville Journal-Tribune daily newspaper. I was the agriculture editor and a general reporter. I sought out the newspaper job based on the advice from a speaker at a national convention of the Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow. The speaker owned a public relations firm and said he would not hire someone who had not worked at a newspaper for a year. He said the discipline of writing every day and meeting deadlines taught the skills necessary to work in public relations.

For what schools, companies and/or organizations have you worked throughout your career?
I worked at the Marysville Journal-Tribune newspaper for one year as a reporter. I got to do a little bit of everything there – write feature stories, obituaries and the police beat, cover civic meetings, take photos on the sidelines of high school football games, and developing photos.

I then worked with Producers Livestock (now United Producers) as the communications manager for six years where I got to do daily livestock prices on the radio, graphic design and organize large events. Then I worked as a freelance writer and editor while I stayed home with my two children for eight years.

I now work for the Pickaway County Library as community relations coordinator. In my 13+ years at the library, I have written newsletters and editorials, led storytimes and teen programs, taught computer classes, driven the bookmobile and partnered with OSU Extension, the YMCA, the local hospital and many other community organizations. I love the variety this job offers and seeing the library develop as a community hub.

As of today, what is your favorite career highlight?
My favorite career highlight is the success of the One Book, One Community program in Pickaway County. I really like the way community members have embraced the discussion of heavy topics like end-of-life planning and drug addiction. The library has worked with Berger Health System and other local agencies to make these programs available. It is very fulfilling to be part of such a collaborative community.

What advice would you give to a current student?

• I am full of advice, as both my children are current college students! Here are the pieces I keep repeating:
  • Go to class every day and sit in the front row. (Someone gave me this advice before I went to college and it worked for me.)
  • Ask for help when you need it, especially early in the semester. That’s why the faculty & teaching assistants are there.
  • Be involved in student organizations.
  • Make some friends.
  • Have some fun. Stay out of trouble.
  • Get a job! If it relates to your major, that’s great; if it doesn’t, it’s still good to have a job. It proves you know how to show up and work.
  • Check your e-mail.

Tricia Kritzler is holding my feet in the wheelbarrow race.

1988 OSU Graduates: from left to right Sandy Kuhn, Sharon (Lambert) Thacker, Beth (Rice) Reigelmayer and Michelle (Stevens) Callahan. Spring 1988 grads from CFAES.

Michelle presenting a storytime in a classroom as part of the local Soil & Water Conservation District’s Ag. Day.