ACEL Students at the Ohio State Fair

Students in the Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership were very active at the 2015 Ohio State Fair. They held leadership positions on the Ohio State Junior Fairboard, organized and facilitated skillathons for 4-H youth, and served as agricultural ambassadors in the Ohio Farm Bureau Ag & Hort Building.

This week, Mandy Taylor tells us about her experience as an agricultural ambassador with Ohio Farm Bureau.

Mandy Taylor
Millersburg
Agricultural Communication
Sophomore

I chose to become an ambassador in the Ohio Farm Bureau Ag & Hort building because I truly enjoy meeting new people, working with children, and sharing with them the importance of the agriculture industry.

I knew that a large percentage of people who attend the Ohio State Fair have little to no understanding of agriculture and having the opportunity to discuss with them was eye opening and enjoyable!

My favorite part of the experience was seeing kids faces when they learned a new fact about agriculture that intrigued them. My favorite station was the new Tractor Simulator because most kids knew what a GPS was and were amazed when I told them that farmers use GPS navigating systems to drive the tractor. Most of the time, a parent had a surprised reaction as well!

Being an ambassador helped me become further interested in sharing the story of agriculture with the general public!

Mandy helps two fair visitors drive the combine simulator in the OFBF Ag & Hort Building.