ACEL Students at National FFA Convention

Our department had a number of students at the 2014 National FFA Convention in October. While many of them were there to receive their American FFA Degree, students were also there working the trade show, leading workshops, chaperoning chapter as student teachers and interning behind the scenes.

Below are four students who shared their National FFA Convention experience with us!

Megan CornishMegan Cornish
North Fairfield, Ohio
Agricultural Communication, ATI
Sophomore

The FFA prepared me for my future. As a freshman in college, I started filling out the American FFA Degree. This is the highest degree that one can obtain as a FFA member. I knew that one little mistake could be the end, so I had to be very careful. Several people checked over my application before it was sent in for evaluation, so if there were any mistakes it could be fixed before it moved on. On November 1st at the 87th National FFA Convention, I walked across the biggest stage I have ever been on to receive my American FFA Degree, my hard work finally paid off. That moment when I accepted my key, I knew I had to retire my blue jacket, but that was not going to end my FFA experience. I am still involved in the FFA in a way where I can still help the younger members through the Alumni.

Being apart of the biggest organization, I enjoyed seeing a sea of blue corduroy jackets filling FFA conventions because those students are the future of Agriculture. My favorite saying is “Wear the Blue and Earn the Gold” and as a FFA member I did exactly that.

Alex Dewitt, photo 1Alex Dewitt
Hamler, Ohio
Agricultural Communication
Senior

Well, the day to receive my American Degree was finally here. I woke up bright and early to be at the expo center on time. I couldn’t help but think “this is the last time I’ll ever put this on again” as I went through the old routine of putting Official Dress on. I almost cried thinking about it. After so many years and memories in OD, I finally understood what everyone meant when they talked about how they miss their FFA jacket. I felt upset and sad that my jacket would end up hanging in my closet for years to come until I find a new spot for it. This jacket that helped me learn most of life’s lessons was getting retired when I stepped off that stage. I wanted to hug it and never take it off. But in the end, it wasn’t the jacket, it was FFA, I was emotional after the four fantastic years of FFA where I was taught so much about life, panty hose, and friendships.

So I had my degree in my hand, I’m close to the stage. They told us the route to take on the stage, and my phone was ready to take another selfie on stage! I had it on camera mode and in my front pocket, which seems like it can hold everything in the world. Then it was stage time! I was next! The blue lights were beautiful! I was pushed on to the stage by person one, then shook hands with the President. I don’t even remember my name being called. I had to watch the DVR this week just to hear it. He did pronounce it correctly by the way… As I left the stage, I totally chickened out and didn’t take the stage selfie.

After everything calmed down and pictures were done, I sat in the car. I remembered the years of adventure, friends I still have because of FFA, and the comfort of my blue corduroy and black panty hose. I didn’t want to take my jacket off. It would be like saying goodbye to an old friend for one last time. I didn’t think I’d be so emotional over a piece of fabric, in the end, that National Blue and Corn Gold would mean so much more to me, it always will. I can credit my leadership, public speaking, and organization skills to the great organization. I can tell a girl exactly how to stop panty hose from running (hairspray and clear nail polish) and how to tell whether a pair of heels with be comfy just by looking at them. I can proudly say there has never been a picture of me sleeping. And I can say that hotels during convention hide everything because high schoolers WILL steal something (TV remotes usually).

In the end, my 6 second walk across the Louisville stage wasn’t just my last time wearing my FFA jacket, it was my final goodbye to FFA, to my youth.

Kelly FagerKelly Fager, photo 1
Wauseon, Ohio
Agricultural Communication
Senior

As I returned for my seventh National FFA Convention, I had yet another role for this organization that revealed my passion for agriculture.  This year I had the privilege to serve as a Convention Collegiate Assistant (CCA) in theExpo division.   This year there were three CCAs for the Expo division withsimilar responsibilities.

My responsibilities as an Expo CCA was to walk around the tradeshow floor checking on the 450+ exhibitors, answering any questions exhibitors may had, helping guide FFA members, posting on the @FFA_Expo Twitter of what was happening, creating Vines to capture memories and making sure that move in and move out transition was easy for exhibitors.

Walking in the Kentucky Exposition Center on the Sunday before convention, I saw workers cleaning up a previous show floor, FFA signs needing to be hung up and National FFA staff members anxious to get to work.  By Monday, most of the shopping mall vendors were moved in and the Expo exhibitors began assembling their exhibits.  Tuesday was a day quickly filled with all exhibitors moving in with Wednesday being the ribbon cutting ceremony to open the Expo.  Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday were days filled with the “sea of blue” corduroy jackets walking around Expo to visit exhibitors, attend sessions or spoil themselves with purchases from the shopping mall.

The best part of National FFA Convention for me was having the opportunity to work the meet and greet for the Scotty McCreery and Danielle Bradbery concert.  It was an incredible evening where I was able to go out within the crowd to surprise FFA members with this meet and greet opportunity.  The screams, smiles and thankfulness that those selected had is something I will never forget.

As someone who once wore the corduroy jacket, I enjoy seeing the behind-the-scenes work it takes to have 65,000 attendees together in one place that has a passion for agriculture.  I’m honored I had the opportunity this year to serve as a Convention Collegiate Assistant and for being able to bleed the blue and gold as an alumni member now.

Amanda BushAmanda Bush
Mt. Gilead, Ohio
Agricultural Communications
Sophomore

Have you ever had a moment where your heart stopped beating a little? A moment where you finally knew that all your hard work had paid off?

A moment of self-fulfillment and accomplishment that you had achieved something not everyone else had? That was the feeling as I crossed the stage to receive my American FFA Degree. There are no words to describe the moment or experience. I was very honored to be in Kentucky representing my community, school and family for one last go around as a member. The American FFA Degree is by far my highest accomplishment, and will always be a memory I cherish. This organization has helped me grow as a person and even though I zipped up my blue corduroy jacket for one final time, I will always bleed blue and gold!

Thanks Megan, Alex, Kelly, and Amanda for sharing your experience with our readers!