Why I Love Agriculture

Christine Balint
Vermilion, Ohio
Sustainable Plant Systems, major
Agricultural Communication, minor

The question that was presented to me was why I chose a minor in Agricultural Communication? It all started with a little shy girl entering 4-H 13 years ago. I started by doing my projects and working with other children my age. I began to open up and share my ideas and wanted to share my knowledge with those around me.

Over these years, I became the president of my 4-H club, vice-president and an active member of the Firelands FFA Chapter in Oberlin, Ohio and took leadership positions on the Lorain County Junior Fair Board. I worked with other members planning and running events through our club, chapter, and junior fair. I took offices and chairman positions where I was the person people went to when there was a problem or a question. In these organizations I learned not only how to take on responsibility, but also an abundance of knowledge about agriculture that I still share today. With all of these great organizations, I was able to blossom into the intelligent, strong, and independent young woman I am today.

Christine Balint, photo 1

I decided to attend The Ohio State University and go into agricultural fields because agriculture is what shaped me and helps fuel the world. Through my FFA chapter, I learned about agricultural literacy and absolutely love informing anyone who is willing to listen about agriculture. Through my county junior fair board, I was able to work with Ohio State Extension and I have grown to understand the dedication and hard work these people put into local youth agriculture. I wanted to pursue making a difference in the agricultural society. I plan on taking my degree and returning to my community to maybe someday work with 4H, FFA, or Extension.