Hello advising community! We hope you are staying safe as we continue to provide support and resources virtually to students. The Equity and Inclusion Committee wanted to share some resources and ways to stay engaged in inclusive work over the summer. Please feel free to check out some of the sources for engagement and comment on this post if there are others we didn’t mention! Otherwise, be on the lookout for Equity and Inclusion events to pick up in the Autumn semester.
- NCORE is hosting a live webinar on May 22: Racism and Infectious Disease: Understanding the Impact of COVID-19. Registration can be found here (note there is a $25 cost): https://www.ncore.ou.edu/en/webinar-series/racism-covid19/
- ASC has several inclusivity-themed podcasts (https://artsandsciences.osu.edu/podcasts), including:
- Origins, about understanding the historical context of current events
- The global mobility project, about immigration and emigration experiences
- Human rights in transit
- Dimelo, Columbus! about the Latinx experience in Columbus
- Ohio Habla, about a varity of Latinx topics including being first gen in higher ed/college access/mentoring in the sciences/DACA
- Disney+ has the Ruby Bridges movie from 1998 available for viewing (https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/ruby-bridges/jMLj7URq8aDA)
- EAB has a lot of 3-5 minute reads that provide insights and food for thought about the student experience (you may need to create a free account to access them using your name.# email address)
- Sign up/plan to complete The College of Arts and Sciences certificate in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: https://artsandsciences.osu.edu/academics/programs/certificates/dei
- Keep up to date with issues and research at the Kirwan Institute: http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/
- The OSU Department of Astronomy, in partnership with NASA, is proud to announce that we will be hosting a free, virtual conference on Monday, June 29. This all-day event will be dedicated to promoting disability inclusion and equity in astronomy and the STEM fields. SciAccess 2020 is being hosted in connection with Making Space for All, a weekly webinar series that showcases underrepresented astrophysics researchers. You can join live episodes of Making Space for All every Thursday at 3:00 p.m. ET. Register for the SciAccess Conference on Disability now!
How are you staying engaged? Let us know in the comments below!