Thank you for joining the Black Lives Matter 30 Day Challenge! We plan to post two weeks at a time, so please feel free to catch up on previous weeks’ challenges. You can find weeks 1 and 2 here.
15. Call your school district and request a more diverse curriculum and ask what their next steps are. Consider listening to episode 120 of “How One District Learned to Talk About Race” from The Cult of Pedagogy Podcast to learn how other districts are learning how to improve race education in K-12 schools.
16. Watch “Dear White People”, “American Son”, or https://filmschoolrejects.com/free-movies-to-support-black-lives-matter/
18. Find something that you like from a black-owned beauty supply store and purchase it.
- Regal Beauty Supply: https://www.regalbeautyco.com/
- Buckeye Cents: 6760 Refugee Rd, Canal Winchester, OH 43110
- Willis Beauty Supply :1491 E Livingston Ave Columbus, OH
- Ms. Melanin Beauty Supply: 3601 Gender Rd Canal Winchester, OH 4311
19. Follow organizations doing racial justice work and unfollow companies with racist practices.
20. Research & visit or drive past Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers National Monument (field trip!), or visit some of the #ArtUnitesColumbus art work around the city. To learn about the artists and the art, as well as each location, visit https://www.artunitescbus.com/
21. If you can, march/attend a protest or rally (or pass out water) or visit https://www.communityjusticeexchange.org/nbfn-directory and donate.
22. Unplug from social media for a day.
23. WHEW! This has been a lot to take in … Now, let’s really take a moment to decompress. This is hard on everyone. A “decompression day” might include taking a vacation day, holding your calendar, or taking it easier than usual. You can use this time to reflect, or meditate. Here’s an idea: http://drcandicenicole.com/2016/07/black-lives-matter-meditation/
24. Read a book by a black author: https://mashable.com/article/new-books-black-authors-you-should-read/ (this could very-well extend past the 30 days AND that is OKAY we hope that all work will continue past 30 days!)
25. Make it a point to pick an organization to donate to. We challenge you to donate monthly for the next year, BUT if you cannot make such a large commitment, pick an organization that you can do a one-time donation to.
26. Invite someone who has not participated in this challenge to do some of these challenges!
27. Consider signing the 15% pledge: https://www.15percentpledge.org/
28. Meet with Equity and Inclusion and your colleagues to reflect and discuss openly and honestly on what you experienced during your challenge. Zoom invite coming soon!
Days 29-30: Catch-up and continue the work! We know this was a lot to complete this month. Catch-up on what you didn’t do and continue the work you started. The hope is this lasts longer than 30 days!