March 2021 Advisor of the Month

Check out some of the wonderful things our advising colleagues have done this past month! Thank you to each of you for all of your hard work and dedication to the students in your areas and OSU!

• Mary Bailey, Matt DeBlieck, Stephanie Elliott, & Ryan Mouncey
    • “I wanted to nominate the Awards and Recognition Committee for being so wonderful this year! They have all worked so hard and contributed many great ideas, and I really appreciate the support. I was nervous about how these meetings would go over Zoom, but I think we’ve all connected really well and managed to have some fun, too!”
  • Caitlin Burden, Anita Simpson, & James Sutherland
    • “When one of our staffers was out for many weeks, Anita, Caitlin and James pitched in and helped out with the workload. Awesome team members! Much appreciated!”
  • Ada Keohane
    • “I am pleased to have this opportunity to nominate Ada for the Adviser of the Month! I am a new adviser at the Ohio State University, and I had the pleasure of shadowing Ada for almost 3 weeks. I can state with confidence that they possess talents and characteristics that would make them Adviser of the Month. Ada is optimistic and positive. What truly makes Ada an amazing adviser is their ability to bring out that optimism in the students. One characteristic I would like to emphasize on that Ada possesses is their compassionate nature that allows them to naturally work well with students. Every single student appointment I sat in, the students left with lots of information and confidence on what to do next. Ada truly wants everyone to succeed and supports them in their goals. I found this very useful in our area of working as an adviser. Ada is also very resourceful when it comes to finding new ways to support students. They have shared helpful cheat sheets as well as a calculator they created that is very easy to use. I appreciate Ada’s willingness to share what they have created as well as best practices that have worked for them.”
  • Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona
    • “Dr. Rodriguez-Saona is an advisor that every student hopes for. He is incredibly knowledgeable, caring, and passionate in what he does. He has helped me in so many ways in the past few years, from helping my product development team to walking me through scheduling challenges. Overall, an incredible advisor, professor, and person!”
  • Melissa Solinger
    • “Melissa has been instrumental in helping the College of Education and Human Ecology revamp and modernize their honors program. Starting in early 2020, Melissa volunteered to gather information and feedback over several months from current EHE honors students and other honors programs across campus to help shape the vision of the EHE honors program moving forward. Melissa has worked countless extra hours researching and developing new learning and experiential opportunities for EHE honors students and has played a critical role in contributing to the formal proposal for the new EHE honors program. With all of the challenges that working remotely during a pandemic has posed for all of us in the advising community, Melissa has gone above and beyond to ensure that EHE could “stay the course” with its original plans and timeline for changes in the honors program and ultimately to improve the experience for EHE honors students. We appreciate all she does for EHE students and the EHE Office of Academic Affairs!”