Thank you for joining the Black Lives Matter 30 Day Challenge! We plan to post two weeks at a time, so please feel free to catch up on previous weeks’ challenges.
- Sign a letter of commitment to: https://osu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_egoPiLhYZgYx8Z7
- Watch “When They See Us”. Or, if you have already watched “When They See US” you could also check out the following list: https://filmschoolrejects.com/free-movies-to-support-black-lives-matter/
- If you see, it (and we all see ignorance at some point) call it out!
- Research “Juneteenth” and its significance
- Participate in the celebration of Juneteenth: have a cookout/ dinner to celebrate and/or research and participate: https://sixnineteen.com/
- Pick a day to talk to a loved one (could be an aunt, uncle, child parent, spouse etc.) openly and honestly about the movement, racism and why differences are beautiful
- Watch https://www.facebook.com/iammiketodd/videos/2576768509263393/
- View the Highline College document about Black Lives Matter in Advising: https://osu.box.com/s/esawj74rkwwcanh6s2cti5me1jgj2k5i
- Register to vote! https://olvr.ohiosos.gov/ If you are already registered to vote, take action to promote voting:
- Join Congress-Person’s Joyce Beatty’s “Voting Rightrs and Equal Justice Forum” on 6/23 6-7pm (RSVP https://bit.ly/37EWZh6); you can dial (866) 757-0608 during the event to participate and/or view the Forum on Facebook Live.
- Contact your State Senators https://www.ohiosenate.gov/senators to express support of SB 191.
Hi, this is [NAME], a constituent, calling from [TOWN]. I urge you to take action to strengthen and streamline Ohio’s absentee and early voting systems to make sure we’re prepared for the November election, even if there is another health crisis. Please support Senate Bill 191 so Ohioans can apply for an absentee ballot online, and support prepaid postage on applications and ballots, multiple drop boxes and Early Vote centers per county, and other improvements to make voting safe and secure.
- Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHIQIO_bdQ
- Purchase or make your own T-shirt in support of black lives (https://store.blacklivesmatter.com/store/). We will also provide a list of local black-owned t-shirt printing businesses later in the week.
- If you want, send a pic of you sporting your support to firstname.lastname@example.org to enter into a drawing and be featured on the Equity and Inclusion page. Winner will be announced at our first on campus event (COVID permitting)
- Pick a black-owned store or restaurant to support AT LEAST once this month. Consider opening an account with One United Bank.
- The Central Ohio African American Chamber of Commerce’s list: https://www.coaacc.org/thelist.html
- Ohio.org’s statewide list: https://ohio.org/100-black-owned-ohio-businesses-to-check-out/
- Make a short list of things you can do better as an individual – goal list
- Watch “13th” on Netflix or “2 Black Men a Week” on Amazon Prime