Module 5 Learning strategy and skills

In module 5, I learned many different learning strategies and skills such as the demands in a college classroom, taking better notes, ways to take notes, active listening and more. In this blog post I will share what I found most useful, how i’m currently using what I learned in module 5 in my current semester and my advice to become a better note taker!

In module 5, I found active listening while taking notes the most useful lesson on module 5. Many of us have a hard time activity staying on pace in lectures and often doze off into our imagination. One of the methods I found really effective is the outline method which is creating bullet points of the main points of your lecture then add lower level points to fill in the details. I will add an example of outline method below this paragraph. Another method I found effective was the write on the slides method. At OSU many of us have I-pads and are able to use this method by importing our lecture slides into notability and writing side notes on each slide during lecture.

Out line method example

A) Ohio State

1. Great education (Main point)

a) #1 public university in Ohio (details)

What I learned in module 5 that i’m currently using this semester is using my I-pad instead of my notebook to write down notes. I find this method very helpful because of the convenience. I import the slides to notability and write down side notes and highlight what my professor points out during the lecture on what he/she will be testing for. Using my Ipad keeps me organized and I never have to look through my binders for the notes while studying. I highly recommend this method as it could potentially save you time and help improve your experience as a student at Ohio State.

Now finally to my advice for note taking and active listening!

• Highlight/write down the key points of your lecture
  • Notes shouldn’t be overfilled with information
  • Be sure to focus more on the lecture, don’t overdue the notes
  • Stay organized to save time
  • Try to question yourself on the topic while reviewing your notes
  • Listen to the lecture then write down the notes as you go

Citations

Slide 15 module 5: https://osu.instructure.com/courses/91565/pages/lesson-module-5?module_item_id=4997000