Brock’s Observations

When she first arrived to Giant Eagle, Carly observed that it was dangerous that all of the vehicle traffic must go past the front of the store. Since this is where the most foot traffic was as well, much caution was needed when travelling in this area.

grocery shopping 7

Carly didn’t like how many of the walkways in the store featured extremely tight spaces. Navigation of her cart was more difficult in these areas.

grocery shopping 8

Within the vegetables and salads aisle, there was a large spread of salad dressing. Although, the type of salad dressing that Carly particularly enjoys wasn’t featured in this aisle. She didn’t like how she had to search elsewhere for her dressing of choice.

grocery shopping 1

During Carly’s grocery shopping adventure, the diligent workers of Giant Eagle were restocking many of their products. This was strange because she visited the store very close to rush hour. It is assumed that this is one of the busiest times for the grocery store, so it seemed interesting that this was the time at which the restocking occurred. The many carts of products ready to be stocked took up a lot of aisle space, increasing the difficulty for Carly to travel through the store.

grocery shopping 4

Carly was overwhelmed with the vast number of chicken nugget options available to her. She found it difficult to find the kind that she loves the most. This was a reoccurring issue with a few other items.

grocery shopping 3

Carly enjoyed the convenience of the self checkout line since she didn’t have to wait to checkout, although she wished that there were workers available to bag her groceries as there are in the cashier lines.

grocery shopping 5

With her newly bought groceries in hand, Carly was pleased and ready to get home. That is until she went to place her groceries in her car and found out that the person next to her had done a sub-par park job.

grocery shopping 6

Carly’s insights:

1. If cost weren’t an issue when shopping I would buy everything that I needed because groceries are expensive and I don’t have the money to be doing that if they’re not free. If time weren’t an issue I would go grocery shopping much more often. Usually a shopping trip will take up about an hour and a half to two hours of my day, which is a lot especially if I have a lot of schoolwork. So, I do not go as often as I should.
  2. If cost and weight were not an issue I guess I would get more groceries as I stated above. Especially when I go grocery shopping on my own, it’s annoying to have a lot of bags and have to load them all from the car into my apartment all by myself. So I make sure I do not get too much, but if weight wasn’t an issue I would buy everything I needed every time I went.
  3. I wish I had the capability to reorganize some of the aisles because sometimes where things are does not make sense to me.
  4. I enjoy getting out of the house and going somewhere besides class. It’s kind of relaxing and a nice break to go out and grocery shop. So, you could say it’s “peaceful”. The enjoyment could be amplified by less people, less noise, etc.
  5. I guess when a lot of carts and people are in one aisle that could be dangerous…
  6. If stuff is on the top shelf sometimes I can’t reach it since I’m short.
  7. I don’t like getting food that has a lot of people around it, especially when I have a cart and they have ones too. The aisles are sometimes small and it sometimes stresses me out thinking I could be in someone’s way or that they are in mine.