BEST (Beef Exhibitor Show Total) is a youth program of the Ohio Cattlemen’s Association (OCA) that recognizes Ohio’s junior beef exhibitors for participation and placings through a series of sanctioned cattle shows that include showmanship competitions.
The BEST program is coordinated by a committee that is appointed by the OCA board of directors. BEST provides an environment for friendly competition and success while serving as an opportunity to create the next generation of leaders by educating juniors on beef industry issues, promoting family membership and participation in the OCA and rewarding the successful accomplishments and hard work of Ohio’s young cattlemen. Additional areas of opportunity are offered through BEST with Junior Representative positions, scholarships and a photography competition for participants to showcase their talent.
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT, EDUCATION AND ACADEMICS OUTSIDE OF THE RING
The BEST program includes the Stockmanship Division to allow exhibitors with or without cattle to showcase their talent outside of the ring by expanding their knowledge of cattle and the industry. This division is sponsored by the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation.
The Stockmanship contests for this year are as follows:
- Prepared Speaking, Scarlet & Gray Midwest Showdown – Saturday, Jan. 8
- Salesmanship, The Weekend Spectacular – Saturday, Jan. 22
- Cattlemen’s Challenge Competition (OCA’s version of a skill-a-thon), Clark County Cattle Battle – Saturday, Jan. 29
- Fitting Contest, DTS Cupid Classic – Friday, Feb. 11
- Judging Contest, Ohio Beef Expo – Friday, March 18
All of this information and much more is also available on our website at WWW.OHIOCATTLE.ORG/BEST.