Licking County has been gracious enough to extend an invitation for Knox County youth to attend their Teen Awards & Opportunity Workshop. This is designed for youth age 14 and older as of January 1, 2022. There are numerous opportunities, awards, and recognition that are outside of the county that our youth can apply for. This workshop will discuss all of the available opportunities, how to apply, and reveal tips to give you a competitive advantage, and provide sample successful forms as a guide to get you started. 4-H members, their family members, and club advisors are encouraged to attend. This will take place on Tuesday, September 14 from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. at the Licking County Extension Office. Please contact Lisa directly at email@example.com to register.
Quality Assurance: 2021 Hartford Fair QA Guidelines
You will find the 2021 Hartford Fair Livestock Quality Assurance Guidelines attached. We hope that you will find these details helpful in determining who must attend QA training in order to be eligible for the Hartford Fair. While each of the three counties will be offering QA programs, we will be attempting to host only our own members during our individual county programs, based upon capacity limits, in order to avoid offering additional programs.
With that said, the SFB Talking Points that are presented during Licking County QA Programs will be distributed to all of you in advance of trainings, and will be posted on the Hartford Fair and Licking County 4-H websites. This will allow you to be aware of the information related to the Hartford Fair, even when attending a Delaware of Knox County QA program. Additionally, all of the species packets utilized during Licking County trainings will be posted on our county website for reference by anyone who would like additional support materials. While Licking County will not be offering Test Out sessions in 2021, your respective counties may, and please know that those are accepted in meeting the Hartford Fair’s QA requirement.
Meat Chicken Order Form:
- Order deadline: April 30, 2021 – Due to Licking County Extension Office
- Delivery is anticipated to take place on June 10th (to be confirmed closer to delivery date)
- Must be ordered in sets of five – can only be shared by siblings
- Must be enrolled in 4-H / FFA Market Duck project
Meat Duck Order Form:
- Order deadline: April 30, 2021 – Due to Licking County Extension Office
- Delivery is anticipated to take place on June 17th (to be confirmed closer to delivery date)
- Must be ordered in sets of 25 – can only be shared by siblings
- Must be enrolled in 4-H / FFA Market Chicken project
Please feel free to contact Lisa at the Licking County OSU Extension Office if you have further questions or concerns.
Here is the 2021 Hartford Turkey Order Form. Please make sure that members who are eligible for Hartford Fair receive this information that may plan on exhibiting market turkeys during the 2021 Hartford Fair. The form itself is posted to the Hartford Fair and OSUE- Licking County (4-H) websites and their Facebook pages. Realizing that clubs may just begin meeting as the order deadline arrives, please share this as widely as possible.
As you have questions, please be sure to let me know!
Yours in 4-H,
From the Licking County OSU Extension Office:
I’m happy to let you know that the essentials that you need, in order to complete your fair entries, are now posted to the Hartford Fair website! It’s time to get to work on those 2020 Hartford Fair entry forms, as they are to be submitted to the Fair Office by no later than June 27th. We ask that you maintain contact with your 4-H Club Advisor, as they will have additional details for you, and will have a date by which they need to receive your entries… Your 4-H Club Advisor will then schedule an appointment with Beth Rowley at the Fair Office (that must take place prior to June 27th @ 5:00 p.m.), in order to submit all entries from their club together. Club appointments are being strongly encouraged as a way to reduce the number of people delivering entries to the fair office over the coming days.
Keep in mind that entries can be submitted in person, by mail, dropped off to the Fair Office’s drop slot in the door, or by email (with prior approval, and credit card payment). Should you need to schedule an appointment or make special arrangements, please feel free to reach out Beth Rowley at the Fair Office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or calling 740.893.4881.
You will want to visit the Hartford Fair website: www.hartfordfair.com.
Once on the website, please use the “FORMS” tab for find all the materials that you need for entries. You will find several items there that will be of importance… (see graphic below for reference)
- 2020 Junior Fair Entry Forms: Please be aware that there are different entry form for different projects…
- Junior Fair NON-MARKET LIVESTOCK Entry: Dairy, Breeding Beef, Breeding Sheep, Non-Market Goats, Horse & Pony, Dog, Non-Market Poultry, Non-Market Rabbits, and Llama/Alpaca.
- Junior Fair MARKET LIVERSTOCK Entry: Market Beef, Dairy Feeder, Steer Pool, Market Hog, Market Lamb, Market Goat, Meat Poultry and Meat Rabbits.
- Junior Fair EQUINE Entry: Entry to specify classes, must also be accompanied by a NON-MARKET LIVESTOCK Entry form. A separate form must be submitted for each horse / pony.
- Junior Fair STILL PROJECT Entry: This is used for any non-livestock 4-H entry (clothing, foods, and special interest projects) that will be on display within the 4-H Center throughout the fair. (Note: Also used for Scout, FFA and Industrial Arts projects.) 4-H members are encouraged to speak with their club advisor when completing this form, to determine if their club is doing a booth – or the entry will be as an individual.
- Junior Fair BOOTH Entry: This form is used by 4-H Club Advisors who wish to have a Club Booth in the 4-H Center during the fair.
- 2020 Junior Fair Entry Information (under header 2020 Entry Purposes ONLY)…
- This is the Junior Fair section of the Premium Book, with scheduling details removed. This will have all the information needed (department, class, lot, etc.) in order to complete entry forms for Junior Fair entries.
- If you are planning to submit Open Class Entries…
- Please realize that the Open Class Livestock Form, and 2020 Open Class Entry Information (Premium Book materials, with scheduling details removed), are also posted on the Hartford Fair FORMS page. Open class entries are also due June 27th.
- Please be sure that entry forms are COMPLETE and ACCURATE – including all SIGNATURES.
- You are encouraged to KEEP A COPY for your own records.
- Complete a separate form for EACH DEPARTMENT – no entry form can have more than one department’s entries listed… Think of this way: when the forms are processed, they are separated in to stacks, by DEPARTMENT. If you have Market Steer and Dairy Feeder entries, they use the same document, but they must be submitted on two different copies of the form – as they will be in two different stacks for processing. With that said, if you have four Dairy Feeders to enter, they can all be on the same form, as they are all in the same department.
- The Junior Fair entry fee is $3 per 4-H or FFA member, per club/chapter. If they submit entries from only one 4-H club, the fee is $3. If they submit entries from a 4-H club and an FFA chapter, the fee would be $6 total.
- Sometime around July 10th, the Fair Office will distribute by mail a VERIFICATION FORM to each individual submitting an entry. Be watching for that verification, and check over it carefully. You will have until July 18th to make corrections. If you don’t receive the verification form by July 15th or 16th, be sure to reach out to the Fair Office to ask for details – as it could have been lost in the mail, or there has been a mistake in your address. You only have until July 18th to make changes…
- Between June 28th and July 18th, late entries can be submitted, or changes in entries can be made. There is a $10 charge for late entries, per entry, but it provides you with option in case you forget something…
- If you’re address has changed since 4-H enrollment in the spring, please contact Adrienne Anderson (email@example.com) with changes… The Fair Office uses the address in your official enrollment file for verification forms and fair checks, and will not make address changes for you – that must be done through contacting Adrienne.
- You will find that these is no Dorm Application included in entry materials in 2020. The dorms are no longer available as an overnight option to exhibitors…
As always, please be sure to contact us should you have questions…
Yours in 4-H,
Knox County Quality Assurance
- March 8, 2018 – 6 to 7:30 p.m., East Knox High School
- April 5, 2018 – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Centerburg High School
- April 23, 2018 – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Fredericktown High School
- May 10, 2018 – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Mt. Vernon High School
- May 17, 2018 – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Danville High School
Licking County Quality Assurance
- March 14th (Wednesday) ……………………………………….. OSU-N/COTC – Founder’s Hall (6:30 p.m.)
- April 10th (Tuesday)………………………………………………………….. Northridge High School (6:30 p.m.)
- April 26th (Thursday)………………………………………………………………… Utica High School (6:30 p.m.)
- May 7th (Monday)…………………………………………………. OSU-N/COTC – Founder’s Hall (6:30 p.m.)
- May 12th (Saturday)………………………………………………. OSU-N/COTC – Founder’s Hall (6:30 p.m.)
- May 24th (Thursday)……………………………………………………. Licking Valley High School (6:30 p.m.)
- March 10th (Saturday) Dairy Feeder QA…….. Shipley Dairy Farm (following dairy judging contest) (12:00 p.m.)
- March 10th (Saturday) Dairy QA……………….. Shipley Dairy Farm (following dairy judging contest) (12:00 p.m.)
- May 19th (Saturday) Hog Wild @ Hartford Hog Show…………….. Hartford Fairgrounds (8:00 a.m.)
- April TBD (Saturday) Rabbit & Poultry QA (in conjunction with Fun Show)………. Newton V.F.D, St. Louisville
Delaware County Quality Assurance
- March 15 at Big Walnut high school- 6:30 pm
- April 19 Buckeye Valley high school- 6:30 pm
- May 12 Delaware county Fair Pig and Lamb Barn- 2 pm
- June 2 Delaware county Fair Pig and Lamb Barn- 10 am
Please make note that the Hartford Fair Turkey Pool order forms are now available for the 2018 project year. The information below was shared earlier today with our 2017 Licking County 4-H poultry project members. We are sharing for those that may be new to the project in 2018, as well as FFA members and those who reside in Knox Counties. Please be aware that the deadline of February 2nd is only SIX WEEKS away! Please help me in distributing this information to any youth who may be planning to exhibit market turkeys during the 2018 Hartford Fair.
Yours in 4-H,
Order form: 2018 HFTurkeyPoolOrderForm-14udc4n
TO: Potential 2018 Hartford Junior Fair Market Steer / Heifer Exhibitors
FROM: Lisa D. McCutcheon, Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development
RE: 2018 STEER / HEIFER WEIGH-IN SCHEDULE & PROCEDURES
All steers and heifers (including Delaware, Knox & Licking Counties) that may be exhibited during the 2018 Hartford Junior Fair Market Steer & Heifer show must be marked by ear tag and tattoo on SATURDAY, JANUARY 20, 2018, at the Hartford fairgrounds (Grubb Arena – West End / Enter Gate C) between 9 a.m. and noon. Up to four (4) steers or heifers can be tagged for the Hartford Fair per exhibitor.
SPECIAL NOTE: We would encourage exhibitors and their families to be aware that we are utilizing a new scale location this year (Grubb Arena – West End), and we ask that you be attentive to the new traffic pattern and unloading/loading procedures. As always, we ask that steers be haltered and broke to lead, for the safety of all involved.
Tagging fee is $1.00 per tagged animal. Exhibitors must complete a registration card for each animal, which requires the exhibitor’s signature. If the exhibitor will be unable to attend weigh-in procedures, please stop by the Licking County Extension Office and pick up the registration card(s) to be signed by exhibitor in advance.
Questions? Give us a call at 740-670-5315. In case of inclement weather conditions, listen to WCLT-AM, WHTH-AM, or visit www.licking.osu.edu for an announcement. Announcement will also be made on the Hartford Fair and Licking County 4-H Facebook pages. Make-up date, if necessary, will be Saturday, January 27, 2018.