To: Knox County 4-H Members, age 14 and over (as of 1/1/2020)
From: Andrea Rees, Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development
Re: 4-H and Older Teen Opportunities for 2020
Dear Older Teen Member,
You are looking at a list of opportunities. Please take a few minutes to read through it. These activities and awards can be of great benefit to you, your future hobbies, schooling and employment.
If you see any opportunity in which you wish to participate or learn more about please contact the OSU Extension office by phone, mail or in person. We can send all interested 4-Hers the necessary Ohio Achievement Record application and/or other applications or you may pick them up at our office at 160 Columbus Road in Mount Vernon.
Basic Guidelines for 4-H Opportunities:
- Must be 14-18 years old by January 1, 2020
- 4-H member in good standing enrolled by March 15, 2020 in Knox County 4-H
- Complete appropriate application(s) (typewritten) by the deadline(s)
- Some opportunities may require an interview as part of the selection process
- A photograph with the application is optional (but very helpful)
The deadline for applications to be submitted to the OSU Extension office will vary by opportunity. After that date listed applications may not be accepted for those said opportunities.
County Level Opportunities
- Knolmes County 4-H Camp Counselor: Counseling staff provide direct supervision and are responsible for the health and safety of other youth under stated guidelines. The training enables selected teens to develop, plan and conduct camp programs for 200 or more campers and staff. Twenty-two hours of leadership training is required prior to camp (11 hours of scheduled meetings and 11 hours outside of scheduled meetings) and will offer positive ways to deal with youth. Once applications are received an interview will be required. More specific details are outlined in the camp counseling application that will be available on/after October 4 and due by October 31.
- Knox County Junior Fair Board: This is the working board for Knox County Junior Fair activities. Comprised of 4-H, FFA, FHA/FCCLA, Boy and Girl Scout members, the board conducts the Junior Fair. All selected members are expected to actively participate in chosen and appointed events. Advisors are the Junior Fair Coordinator and the 4-H Educator. Meetings are typically held once a month and occasionally there are other events and training opportunities offered. Representatives may attend the Jr. Fair Conference in Columbus, Saturday, January 4, 2020 for training. An application that is specific for just Knox County Junior Fair Board will be available the week of October 14.
- Knox County CARTEENS: https://ohio4h.org/families/just-teens/carteens
- Knox County Tech Changemakers: contact Andrea for more information
Out of County & State Opportunities
- State 4-H Achievement Awards: https://ohio4h.org/awardsandscholarships
- National 4-H Dairy Conference: https://ohio4h.org/sites/ohio4h/files/imce/national%20dairy%20conference.pdf
- Ohio State Junior Fair Board: https://ohio4h.org/sites/ohio4h/files/imce/Families/Awards_and_Scholarships/state%20junior%20fairboard_0.pdf
- Ohio Township Association 4-H Local Government Award: https://ohio4h.org/sites/ohio4h/files/imce/Families/Awards_and_Scholarships/ohio%20township%20award_0.pdf
- Ohio 4-H Fashion Board: https://ohio4h.org/families/just-teens/state-4-h-fashion-board
- Ohio 4-H Teen Leadership Council: https://ohio4h.org/families/just-teens/teen-leadership-council
- Ohio 4-H Conference: https://ohio4h.org/events/ohio-4-h-conference
- Ohio Youth Capital Challenge: https://ohioffa.org/programs/ohio-youth-capital-challenge/
- Buckeye Leadership Workshop: https://buckeyeleadership.com/
- International Programs & Exchanges: https://ohio4h.org/statewide-programs/international-program
- Citizenship Washington Focus: https://ohio4h.org/families/just-teens/citizenship-washington-focus
- Leadership Washington Focus: https://ohio4h.org/families/members/opportunities-more/leadership-washington-focus-lwf
- Ohio 4-H Shooting Education Camps: https://ohio4h.org/camp/shooting-sports-camps
- State 4-H Leadership Camp: https://ohio4h.org/camp/leadership-camp
- Carving New Ideas: https://ohio4h.org/events/carving-new-ideas-workshop
- Making eXtreme Counselors: https://ohio4h.org/camp/mxc-workshop
- Ohio Military Kids Camp Counselor: https://ohio4h.org/statewide-programs/ohio-military-kids
- Sea Camp: https://ohio4h.org/camp/sea-camp
- 4-H Health Heroes: https://ohio4h.org/healthheroes
For more updated information, please refer to the follow:
- Knox County OSU Extension Website: http://knox.osu.edu
- Knox County OSU Extension Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OSUEKnox/?ref=bookmarks
- Knox County 4-H Blog: https://u.osu.edu/4hknoxcounty/
- Ohio 4-H Web Page http://www.ohio4h.org/
- Andrea Rees (via e-mail): firstname.lastname@example.org
PDF Version: 2019 Teen Opportunities Letter
4 thoughts on “2020 Teen Opportunities”
Thank you for sharing! These are great opportunities for youth to hone leadership, organization and communication skills (writing, speaking), as well as gain volunteer service hours and give back to the community! 4H in general is all about these traits!
There are so many county and state opportunities for our youth!
When will the fair queen applications be posted, roughly?
I would imagine that it will be at the beginning of June.