Details matter in sustainability.

I am a very detail oriented person because I know details can affect results in many situations. This applies to environmental situations too – small details can have large effects on the environment. I remember during one of the lectures in this course (near the start of this semester for this course), the class was having a discussion about people being unsustainable. I remember that I raised my hand to talk about a specific situation. The situation is the following: Someone parked their car in front of a store to drop off someone else. The person who was dropped off went to the store, and the other person stayed in their car scrolling on their phone. Their car was left on – their reasoning for this might have been to have continued access to the air conditioner or heating in the car. However, this is how fuel from the car is wasted and carbon dioxide is released into the air. The person scrolling on their phone in comfort does not consider the negative effect that their action causes. They might think their action does not make a difference in climate change because they think it is only one car that is in the parking lot doing this – however, there are many people around the world doing this daily. The carbon dioxide that is released is added up and produces the huge effect of hurting the air quality on Earth. In fact, I am so concerned about the reduced air quality that sometimes I consider wearing goggles so that polluted air does not enter my eyes – I care about keeping my eyes safe. I also care about keeping my lungs safe. It is saddening that many people leave their cars on for a long amount of time because they want to scroll on their phones inside the car. 

Another situation is that many people do not speak up much even when they see that others are doing unsustainable things. To stop climate change, people have to be able to communicate. People have to try to spread the message that the environment needs to be saved. For example, a way to support sustainability is talking to people who have their cars on for no reason, and letting them know that leaving the car on contributes to releasing carbon dioxide. There has to be more awareness about climate change. Every detail has an effect. People have voices, and they should use their voice to speak up about how to help the environment thrive. Posting videos explaining how to be more sustainable can help spread the message to so many people on the internet. Since in the present time, most people are using online apps to communicate, it is a popular and effective way to let a lot of people know that climate change has to be stopped. 

There are so many ways to save the environment. Walking instead of driving, turning a car off when it is not being used, saving natural resources, etc. People think these actions are very small-scale actions – however, all of these actions are truly helpful in maintaining a healthy environment. Putting in effort is important. Changes can be made. Animals, plants, humans – they all want clean air. It is important to consider details regarding saving the environment. Details matter.