From Doomism to Optimism

One of the readings we had in class, Our Planet Is Not Doomed. That Means We Can, and Must, Act, by Dagomar Degroot, explained the situation where doomism regarding the environment may not be exactly accurate. This idea is important because it highlights the sensitivity to doomism, the true harm the Earth is facing, and what people can do to act. This article also reminded me of conversations I have had with my parents in the past, and how I have also believed that the planet was doomed before. I feel as though the article by Degroot also made me understand the idea of sustainability more, specifically, ways to be sustainable and think sustainable. 

Degroot affirms that, “Climate ‘doomism’ holds that greenhouse gas emissions are soaring beyond control, that runaway heating will continue even if emissions decline,and that ecosystems, then societies, will collapse once heating exceeds thresholds that will soon be reached. It’s a terrifying thought. But it’s wrong – and dangerous” (Degroot). From this quote, I questioned how this idea could be wrong, and what danger could come from doomism, considering I also believed we were doomed. Degroot says the solution would be slowing emissions and watching the Earth’s sensitivity. The emissions have plateaued recently and could possibly start to decline. He also states that due to the Earth’s sensitivity is so high, yet the decrease in emissions can determine the heating of the planet. The reasoning that doomism can be dangerous is because it discourages action since it is considered to be destined to fail (Degroot). I found these details in the article to be very interesting and caused me to rethink my perception on doomism, and I ended up changing my opinion. 

Similarly enough, the concept of doomism has been a topic I have discussed with my parents before. I had expressed my opinions on how I believe the emissions were destined to be the end of us, and that it had gone on for too long and in too high amounts. My parents had disagreed and had made several points that Degroot stated about the facts of emissions and the dangers of saying we are too far gone. After reading Degroots article about doomism and further research, I have actually changed my mind regarding if doomism is correct. 

This article also helped me understand sustainability more as well. Learning the correct ways to not only help be sustainable, but also ways to think in order to promote it more ass well has really helped me come to an understanding. We must start to change. Emissions of greenhouse gasses need to decrease in order to stop warming. There is also the availability of new technologies that could possibly help as well. Degroot also mentions the importance of lowering aerosol pollutants and the natural variability in the Earth’s climates. 

Dagomar Degroot’s Our Planet is Not Doomed. That Means We Can, and Must, Act, discussed the importance of knowing there is still a chance for Earth. Degroot wrote on several ways in which emissions are lessening, and how doomism is not the way to go. It reminded me of conversations I have had with my parents and how this article and research of my own has changed my opinion to a more optimistic one. Understanding how to think in a sustainable way and keeping optimistic is an important and necessary way to help the world survive the climate crisis.