AEV Designs Examined

Reflectance sensors on the AEV shown below:

Individual Design One- Created by Victoria

For my individual design I chose to move the battery to the top front of the AEV device and to put a rounded hood over it so that the air flows better over the AEV device. The hood would be made of lightweight material in order to prevent the AEV from becoming too heavy and using too much energy.

Rectilinear+Paper-2386xl8

Individual Design two- Created by Emily

My design has a football shaped base so it would be aerodynamic. I didn’t add much material so the AEV will be lightweight. The pros to this design are that it is lightweight and aerodynamic. The cons are that it is not much different from the sample AEV.

Individual Design Three – Andrew

For my design, I reshaped the base of the AEV to have better aerodynamics, as the pointed end flows better through the air than a blocky square tip. The base was also made thinner to make the vehicle more lightweight, increasing efficiency and lowering cost.

Tylah Fortson

My individual drawing was motivated by an idea to create a more aerodynamic design, resulting in a sharp front point. The idea is also that the part is mostly round and thought to be lightweight.

Final Design:

This design has an aerodynamic hood to cover the battery which will help it glide through the air. The hood will be 3D printed so it will not increase the cost, but it might increase the weight.

We chose the last four criteria–aerodynamics, weight, cost, and energy efficiency–as we believed these criteria to be the most important in how the AEV will run. These criteria have the most direct impact on how well the AEV operates and thus we decided to further evaluate the designs based on these criteria. The style criterion was chosen because it is a necessary thing to evaluate–though style does not impact the way the AEV operates, the general public will prefer a stylish vehicle over an eye-sore, similar to why many people choose the best looking car over something safer and cheaper.

Upon Finishing the project, we ended up not adding any 3D printed parts. We added an extra arm with a 90 degree metal bracket (not shown in the picture below) attached to the T-shaped base so the AEV would attach to the caboose for the final performance test.