5 #new2osu FAQs (and answers!)

New students and families email First Year Experience (askFYE@osu.edu) on a daily basis with various questions and concerns, and we are happy to help people navigate the resources available to them on this campus.

Here are our five most frequently asked questions (and our answers) we have received in the last month, in no particular order:

I’m moving into my room in XYZ Hall on August 23rd (and I’m very excited!). What can I expect with the move-in process?

University Housing sent move-in instructions in late July to all students living in the residence halls this fall–the email was sent to your university email account. Contact University Housing at housing@osu.edu or (614) 292-8266 if you did not receive this email.

Also helpful in preparing you for the move-in process: this move-in brochure and this informative video:

What immunizations are required for incoming new students?

Although Ohio State does not require any specific immunizations, Student Health Services has several recommendations for incoming new students. Check out these recommendations online, where you can also view the cost list for immunizations that are administered at our Wilce Student Health Center on campus.

shots

Help! There’s a non-resident fee on my Statement of Account and I’ve lived in Ohio my entire life! How can I make this fee go away?

If you are a male student (at least 18 years old) and an Ohio resident, you need to provide your Selective Service number to Ohio State to avoid the non-resident fee charge on your Statement of Account.

Visit the Selective Service website to register for your number.

SSS registration

Provide your number to the university through the Personal Information section of your Student Center homepage, accessible via Buckeye Link.

Residency Student Center

Contact the Student Service Center if the non-resident fee does not disappear in 1-2 business days.

Male plus Ohio

So, I know I need textbooks for my classes–how do I get them?

You have a variety of options when it comes to textbooks, and we don’t necessarily endorse one option over the other; however, a good place to start when you are determining which textbooks you’ll need for the semester is by visiting University Bookstore website. You can enter in the courses for which you are registered and you’ll be able to see the textbooks that are required (or suggested) for each course.

BandN textbooks

If you prefer to rent your textbooks, check the Campus Book Rental website for information about vendors and best practices. Also, discounted books may be available through used book sources such as Amazon.com or Half.com. All of these options include textbooks in hard copy and electronic format (when available).

I got an email about the pre-Convocation survey class on Monday, August 25th. How do I know where to go?

All incoming new students (and some transfer students) who are enrolled in a University Survey course for autumn are required to attend the pre-Convocation survey class on Monday, August 25th. The day, time, and location for this particular class is different from what is listed on your autumn semester schedule. To determine your Survey class time/location for August 25:

Log into your Student Center, accessible via Buckeye Link. Click on “My Class Schedule” to view the full listing of all your courses for autumn semester.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 12.29.45 PM

Find your Survey course and the name of your course instructor–most Survey courses are listed with the name of your college of enrollment (e.g. ARTSSCI is Arts & Sciences) followed by 1100 (the course number).

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 12.37.40 PM

Find the time and location of your pre-Convocation survey class through the FYE website.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 12.42.11 PM

Do you have a question that we didn’t answer? Let us know: askfye@osu.edu.

One thought on “5 #new2osu FAQs (and answers!)