I have been giving a lot of though lately to my website. Just wanted to document that I have made the decision to not renew my account at squarespace.com. Squarespace is a phenomenal service, but overkill for my needs currently.
I have redirected my URL, gabetippery.com, to the site you are now looking at. I hope to build this up in the future. The u.osu.edu platform is free for me for as long as I am affiliated with Ohio State, and I have little plan of leaving anytime soon, so this seems like a good place to build into a hub for my online activities.
Hope you enjoy.
Today marks my one year anniversary as the Undergraduate Academic Advisor for the Department of Design at The Ohio State University. With this, like many other jobs, comes an Annual Review with my supervisor. Part of this review process is a “Self Appraisal” and while there is more to this document than the following, I though I would share and document some of the data I have gathered tracked and gathered this year as a way of reflecting on my accomplishments. I do not know that I will continue this data tracking in the future, but it has been useful this year to keep my motivation from waning. So here it is…
Excerpts from my 2013-2014 Self Appraisal
NOTE: The evaluation period for this appraisal covers the time from 4/1/2013 to 3/31/2014.
List your significant contributions and achievements during the performance period.
- Became the Academic Advisor for the Department of Design
- Created and implemented formal process for major change and transfer student petitions
- Successfully guided 88 Pre-Design students into BSD major program or back-up plans if not accepted to BSD major programs
- Served as Instructor of Record for all undergraduate section of Design 5191 Au13 to current
- Assisted with plan to alter GE history requirements for NASAD
- 378 Current Student Advising Appointments (not including 1-on-1 advising appointments during NFYS, Transfer, and/or International Student Orientations or Impromptu Walk-Ins)
- 44 Prospective Student Visits (not including Impromptu Walk-Ins)
- 10 Recruiting Events
- 42 Graduate Applications Filed
- 97 Degree Audits corrected for Quarter to Semester Switch (This was supposed to be done in Au 2012)
- 9128 emails sent or received (3643 sent, 5485 received)
Have you successfully performed any new tasks or additional duties outside the scope of your regular duties?
- Began discussions to become Staff Advisor for student organization Design Circle
- Manage Department locker assignments and maintenance
- Redesigned “Change of Major Requirements Form” for ASC Advising
- Department website migration from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7 and maintenance on current Drupal 6 site
- Participate in Design Foundations Committee for the restructuring of First-year Foundations series courses.
Note the professional development activities that you have completed during the performance period.
- 04/10/2013: Interviewed for Academic Advisor position
- 04/17/2013: Accepted Academic Advisor position
- 05/01/2013: Started as Academic Advisor
- 05/06/2013: Began training on SIS and other Advising technologies
- 05/07/2013: FERPA training
- 05/07/2013: OSU Data Policy training
- 05/28/2013: Student Records training
- 05/31/2013: ASC Orientation training
- 06/07/2013: More SIS training
- 06/19/2013: Orientation Computer Lab training
- 07/10/2013: ASC Advising training
- 07/11/2013: DARS training
- 07/17/2013: More SIS training
- 07/23/2013: More SIS training
- 07/24/2013: Exploration Advising training
- 08/01/2013: Joined ACADAOS (Academic Advising Association of The Ohio State University)
- 08/06/2013: Graduation Application training
- 08/08/2013: Advising Connect Mailer training
- 08/13/2013: Carmen Training for new survey instructors
- 09/10/2013: ASC Career Services FutureLink overview training
- 09/17/2013: Liberal Arts Overview training
- 0/28/2013: Mid-Year Touch Base
- 11/01/2013: ASC Lunch and Learn – Double Majors vs. Dual Degrees
- 11/05/2013: Drupal 6 Content Editor training for ASC websites
- 11/14/2013: Drupal 6 Content Manager training for ASC websites
- 11/19/2013: Special Student Populations advising training
- 12/04/2013: Advising Student Athletes training
- 12/13/2013: Workshop on Advising International Students
- 01/09/2014: University Career Services Committee (UCSC) Meeting – Legal Issues in Internships
- 01/15/2014: OSU Digital Discoveries Conference
- 01/23/2014: D6->D7 Gap training for ASC websites
- 01/28/2014: Focusing on the First Year FYE Conference
- 02/20/2014: Drupal 7 Form Manager training for ASC websites
- 02/25/2014: First Design Foundations Committee Meeting
- 03/06/2014: OSU Advising Conference
- 03/21/2014: Transfer Credit Evaluator training
- 03/25-26/2014: OSU Innovate Conference
- 03/26/2014: Webinar on Developing an Assessment Plan for Academic Advising
Looking for a last minute gift for the locavore in your life? Check out my line of t-shirts. 10% OFF SITE WIDE THRU MIDNIGHT DECEMBER 16TH PST
It is always satisfying when spotting one of your projects out in the wild. Recently spotted my Ohio Pasture Proud logo at Wieland’s Market.
My teaching methods and approaches gaining a little traction within the Ohio State e-learning community. Check out my feature posted on the OSU ODEE site.
Gabe Tippery: Engaging Students in the Digital Era on:
OSU Office of Distance Education and eLearning