Elena Camacho on Resilience, Empowerment and Advocacy

By Miranda Koewler

As an aspiring doctor and Army veteran, Elena Camacho believes in the power of treating people like the individuals they are. With a mission to help those in need, Elena’s story is moving and impassioned.

elena camachoMiranda: What are you studying and why?
Elena: Psychology. I immediately was hooked after taking the intro class. I was fascinated by the connection of the mind and the way people act. This understanding really helped me heal after some traumatic experiences earlier in my life.

What are you involved in on campus and in the Columbus community?
I work with the Ohio State Suicide Prevention Program. As the military community advocate, I work very closely with veterans here on campus. In this position, I strive to represent the interests of those students within that demographic. I am also involved in Humanism in Medicine. We learn how to be better aspiring doctors by focusing on treating people as individuals.

What are three words to describe you?
Based on what I’ve been through and where I am today, I would say resilient. I had some traumatic experiences in the past, but through it all, I bounced back. Along with that, I would say strong. Life requires a lot from you, and I had to realize that a part of being strong is being vulnerable. Lastly, compassionate. Getting knocked down and reaching rock bottom teaches humility. People go through things you would never know, so imagine putting yourself in their shoes.

How has growing up bicultural given you a different perspective on your life and college experiences?
I was born in California, but lived in Mexico for 11 years growing up. I’m accustomed to two extremely different perspectives that have opened up the world to me. They challenge me and make me smarter because I’m able analyze things from two different views.

How did your time in the Army influence you? What did you learn from this experience?
I joined the Army as a medic and spent most of my service stationed in Hawaii. I’m used to moving around a lot in the military, but it allowed me to see other places like Texas, Oklahoma and the deserts of California. The military became my family. I experienced the greatest camaraderie that I could ever imagine and have now found my place in the veteran community. My time in the Army truly showed me that there is always a greater purpose in life.

How did you get involved with the cause of suicide prevention?
My best friend died by suicide, so I have since felt compelled to be involved. I am surrounded by passionate people with a common goal of breaking the stigma around suicide and mental health. I am creating events to inform and spread hope, and I am helping students with REACH trainings. It’s very meaningful to see your work affecting others.

What are the most important things you want people to know about suicide prevention?
First and foremost, suicide is preventable. People see it as a hopeless cause, but evidence shows that suicide can be prevented. Second, individuals really do make a difference. Checking in with friends and family can turn their day around. Third, caring makes a difference. Showing signs of support is crucial. Lastly, suicide prevention is a shared campus responsibility. Everyone should be involved.

You mentioned some people who inspire you. Can you tell me more about them?
My inspiration comes from my mom. She is the strongest female figure I have ever come across. Other resilient women that I have looked to in hard times include Frida Khalo, Sor Juana Ines de La Cruz and Selena Quintanilla. They are like rebels who don’t let anyone or anything tell them no. They are never limited by people or their expectations. I admire any fierce human who defeats or challenges the odds stacked against them.

Where do you see yourself taking your interests and passions in the future?
I will always be a strong advocate for suicide prevention. In general, my passions lie within helping others because there is nothing more rewarding than this. I wouldn’t be where I am without positive people in my life, so I am trying to make the world a better place for others.

What advice do you want to pass along to your fellow Buckeyes?
Be the hope and change you want to see in the world. Spread light. Know that you make a difference and matter to someone. Also, never forget that mental health matters.