Akron General Summer Research Fellowship

What? – A detailed description of what you did during your STEP experience.

Over this past summer I conducted research through the Akron General Medical Center (AGMC) Emergency Department Research Fellowship. The fellowship consisted of writing up case reports for unique presenting patients in the ER, revising AGMC’s emergency medicine milestone rubrics, attending various lectures and expos, shadowing various doctors, and taking part in simulation labs (i.e. lumbar puncture, intubations, etc.).

So What? – A personal response to your STEP experience, including feelings, thoughts, judgments, and what you have learned about yourself and your assumptions from what you did and how you reacted.

Through this experience I was able to gain valuable experience working within a hospital, and mre specifically, in the field I would like to be in, Emergency Medicine. I met many doctors, and doctors-to-be that told me about their path towards medicine, the hardships they encountered, and how to overcome them. I enjoyed working with the other fellows as well, who came from programs like NEOMED and other prestigious pre-med programs. One of the case reports I wrote, Cervical Artery Dissection, has been published in the American Journal of Emergency Medicine (AJEM). And another case report, Mesenteric Ischemia, is being considered for publication in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM). The part that impacted me most was the interactions I was able to have with the patients. While shadowing doctors I was able to talk to the patients about what they were going through and learn how the doctors helped with both the physical and emotional aspects of their respective trauma.

Now What? – Discuss how the things you experienced and learned during your STEP experience will affect your academic, personal, and life goals moving forward.

Most importantly, the experiences I had at AGMC encouraged and reinforced my path in life to pursue a career in medicine. My interactions with the doctors and hearing about their own path toward medicine taught me how to better organize my life so that I may work to my full potential in order to continue to pursue this rigorous course. I am excited to be involved in more research fellowships like the one at AGMC. This summer I hope to take part in Ohio University’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF).

The following link is the final presentation I gave on my work:

Research Presentation