My STEP Internship Experience

1. Please provide a brief description of your STEP Signature Project. My STEP signature project took place in the form of an internship experience. This opportunity has developed into a starting point for my professional career.
2. What about your understanding of yourself, your assumptions, or your view of the world changed/transformed while completing your STEP Signature Project? Going into my first internship I was unsure of what to expect. At that point I was unsure of whether I wanted to continue in accounting. After my first stint as Messer intern I began to question if I was comfortable working secluded to a quite cubicle with limited interaction with others. This is how I assumed all accounting jobs were after the first part of my internship. After spending a summer with the Rental Division of Messer, I found a comfortable environment where I had freedom and had more opportunities for personal interaction. This project made me much more comfortable in my decision to major with a focus in accounting.
3. What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP Signature Project led to the change/transformation that you discussed in #2, and how did those affect you? One of the key aspects that led to a change in my outlook on my career path was the relationships I developed with my co-workers. There were two men that I worked with in the accounting department of the Rental Division. One them had just recently accepted a full time position and the other was the accounting manager. I found these two to be reliable options for anything I needed. They both made my transition seamless and provided me an excellent environment to learn. They were extremely fun people to be around and by the last month of summer we were meeting up 2 or 3 times a week at the YMCA to play basketball. This really helped in making me feel involved and comfortable at work. Spending time together outside of work, whether it be lunch or a pickup game of basketball, reminded me that everyone at work was just like me in a way. Being the only intern within a division could have made me feel isolated but getting closer with a few of my coworkers gave people who I could relate to.
Another aspect that led to me being more comfortable within my job was our daily huddle meetings. These huddle meetings were simple 15 minute meetings where everyone in the office discussed what they would be doing for the day. Though the concept of these meetings were simple, they had a strong impact at work. These meetings provided clarity on responsibilities and let everyone involved know where they stood on joint projects. These daily huddle meetings helped me understand my role within the company as well as helping me see how my work affects the company as a whole
4. Why is this change/transformation significant or valuable for your life?
This change is significant as it has made me confident in my decision to major in Accounting. There was a period when I was considering switching majors but this experience has given me an optimistic view to my future. Most importantly this opportunity has helped me gain the opportunity to become a staff accountant immediately following graduation.